Breast Cancer Forum

Right Breast Lump

I have a lump in my right breast behind my nipple. I had a mammogram and ultrasound done that was listed as a 4.  The radiologist said it was very suspicious looking.  I had a needle biopsy done it was negative. I have taken two rounds of antibotics. This all happened about 3 months ago.  The surgeon wanted to remove it, but I have no insurance coverage.  Now the lump has grown to the size of a silver dollar, it's red, my nipple is sore, it is warm to the touch, itchy and burning pain runs down my breast area. The nipple on this breast does not come out like my left breast does. I think this is probably from the swelling.  Under my arm on the same side even hurts sometimes. I have used home products on it lately to see if it is a boil.  Trying to bring it to a head.  This has done no good.  I have no insurance so I am trying to see if I can get it to go away.  Do you have any suggestions on what I can do?  How serious do you think this could be?  Thank you.
Dear margie687:  Even if a needle biopsy appeared benign, if the lump is growing and changing, it needs attention.  Removing the lump, as your surgeon has suggested, may be the best way to determine whether there is any cancer involved.  A needle biopsy only contains the cells that will fit within the needle.  It is possible for the needle to "miss" the cells that are most concerning.  An excisional biopsy (removing the lump) will ensure that the entire lump is analyzed by pathology.  You might contact your local department of human services to see if you are eligible for any financial assistance programs.  You need to get this taken care of by a physician.  
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.