I am scheduled for a surgical biopsy in two days, but am feeling somewhat nervous about the procedure and whether or not I should get a second opinion first. I had a mammogram (spot compression) two weeks ago that showed a "spiculated" mass 2.5 cm. also visible on ultrasound. Core Biopsy revealed atypical epithelial hyperplasia and intraductal pappilomas.
Doctor indicated that there is a less than 5% chance that there is cancer; however, it is neccesary to make sure. I also found a small (tiny) lump in an area away from the mass that is seen on mammogram/ultrasound (the 2.5 cm. area is not palpable). A year ago I found a lump that felt like a small marble that, after biopsy, was determined to be benign (not seen on mammogram, as far as I know).
The doctor will biopsy the 2.5 cm. area and has given me the option of taking a biopsy of the new lump, although he believes that it is nothing and does not feel it is neccesary. I am afraid to just ignore it.
Am I doing the right thing in having the surgical biopsy? Should I worry? Should I ignore the new lump?
Dear confuseddv: Although a core biopsy can be a very good test, one of its limitations is that it takes a very small sample. If there is any question that tissue near the sample could possibly be different or
I would certainly go ahead with the biopsy. If you feel a second opinion would put your mind at ease then by all means postpoone the bx and proceed that way. I wouldn't just ignore the situation; it's much better to know for sure. Your surgeon shouldn't mind in the least if you request a second opinion. Good Luck ...
I agree with jadip on having the biopsy. As for the lump, I would either have it biopsied or keep a close eye on it, which usually means returning in 4-6 months for a mammo and performing self-breast exams. A second opinion may help you better decide what to do. This is just my personal opinion after having several biopsies and now close monitoring.
It is always better to be "safe" than "sorry". I didn't push the issue with my doctors back in 2001, when I found a lump in my chest and they insisted it was a cyst. Nine months later, the lump much larger, I am sent to a surgeon who rushed me in for surgery. Five days later I got the results which was invasive ductal carcinoma, 2.5 x 2.7 cms and very agressive. The lump was the size of a pea when I first found it. I was angry at myself for not trusting my instincts that it could be more than just a cyst. If you get it taken out and it is nothing, yipee, at least you will know and if you get it out and it is something serious (which I hope and pray it isn't) you will be glad you had it removed now. So either way, it is in your best interest to get it removed and tested. Not trying to scare you, but just for you to be aware. Wish you all the best. I will have 6 years cancer free this year!!
I had an ultrasound and diagnostic mammogram on Feb 12 and was told that I needed to have a biopsy done. After waiting a week to hear from my gyn I called them to see if an appointment had been made. I was told they didn't have the report yet and would have to get it and call me back. When they called back they left a message telling me my biopsy was scheduled for March 20th, more than a month from now. I don't know of anyone who has waited that long for a biopsy. Is this normal? This week has seemed so long.
When my Ultrasound showed that the lump I had in my chest was not a cyst I was rushed into surgery to have it removed right away. I can't imagine having to wait a month. However; I knew my lump was there 9 months earlier and two different physicians said it was a cyst, and maybe that was the reason for rushing. Either way, I understand how you feel. Hope everything turns out ok for you.
Usually they do try to schedule biopsies within a couple of weeks. If it bothers you to wait so long you might want to check in to having it done at a different place. I've had to put off biopsies for a month due to scheduling conflicts. Each time my surgeon was ok with that, as long as I scheduled the biopsy relatively soon. Each time my biopsy was benign. If the surgeon felt my suspicious areas were highly suggestive of cancer he would have pushed for a biopsy sooner.
I decided to take matters into my own hands and called Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. I brought my information, reports and films into them on Tuesday and I am scheduled for my biopsy next Thursday. I feel like someone is now paying attention to my situation and it has made me feel so much better. Thank you for all your advice.
Copyright 1994-2018MedHelp.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Vitals Consumer Services, LLC.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. MedHelp is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.