Breast Cancer Community

Shingles and Breast Cancer

I have always had lumps in my breast since I was twenty.  I also had shingles when I
was 27, however it was around my waistand it lasted about 2 months.  My mother
had died the previous year.  I have had small spots hear and there on my legs that
itch turn red and go away.  A few months ago, I had a terrible outbreak of shingles
under my left breast around under my arm to the middle of my back.  The pain was
terrible.  Since I have great difficulty taking medication due to extreme nausea and headaches,
I decided to ride it out with home remedies for the itching and loads of antiinflamatory herbs.
It lasted about 2 months.  It left very bad scars. However, I noticed that the lumps in my
left breast have become more pronounced and there is tenderness.  There is also some
shooting pains in the area of the scarring.  Does Shingles exacerbate breast lumps?
Is there a vaccine that will reduce the chance of a future outbreak?  Thank you.
Note: Within the last 2 years my beloved sister died and 3 very close 1st cousins.  I notice
that the small spots appear on my leg when I am under this type of stress.  I am 64 years
of age and in otherwise good health.  I have blood work done every year.
Please advise your opinion.
Dale
Hi.

Shingles should not exacerbate breast lumps.  These breast lumps are in my opinion independent of such conditions and may reflect fibrocystic breast disease or fibroadenomatous changes.  Shingles is caused by a dormant chickenpox virus that becomes reactivated.  I'm not sure if there are any vaccines for this but I believe that some form of antiviral therapy is required during an acute reactivation of shingles.  If you did not receive anti-viral therapy, then it may be possible that future outbreaks will occur.

As for your breast, I believe this would warrant a separate investigation by your doctor in the form of imaging tests such as a mammogram or ultrasound.

Regards and God bless.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.