Last year I had a palpable mass. It was not seen on mammogram which is important to note but palpable by myself, doctor and ultrasound tech. At the time of ultrasound the radiologist (drs?) came in and told me I had a complex cystic mass that was solid and honeycomb in appearance? The birads was a 4. They verbally told me it was highly suspicious for malignancy and it needed to be removed asap. It turned out benign.
This year just four weeks ago I have a mammogram and there on the mammo is a mass. You can see the surgical clip that was left in place from last years procedure as well and it is nearby the area of last years biopsy as well as the mass. I am called back and shown the mammo and we repeat the mammo, lateral views,compression spot, etc. Then into the room for a diagnostic ultrasound. At which time the ultrasound tech reveals i have 2 masses. She says one is about the size of a nickel and the other significantly smaller. Then a radiologist comes in and repeats the ultrasound and examines my breast. His question was to me, "can you feel this mass", I said,"no sir, I just came for a mammogram and here we are now," ..I also said to him, last year I could feel the mass that was biopsied. So he proceeds to tell me about the two masses I have and that they are complex solid cystic masses, one with some debris?, ok, whatever.....and I am just knowing that these have to come out you know because of the look on this mans face, then he says after looking quite some time at what he was seeing on the screen, "Miss, I want to wait 90 days and ultrasound you again and see what is taking place here"...then goes on to say because I was benign last year that more than likely I am benign this year and he mentioned that this could be the same mass as last year...OK??? He tells me he wants me to go have a nice summer and he'll see me in 90, which it won't be him, there will some other radiologist doing all this then ya know?....ok so he ask me do I have questions and I said, yes I do, why later than sooner? He said again because I was benign last year and he wanted an evaluation of the changes that are taking place within this Right breast....ok??? so to me, we wait for changes???
I left that visit in dismay, with a sheet that said 2 complex cystic masses, solid. One is adjacent to the other. In similar location as last year biopsy that clip is noted and lymph nodes visible. Stuff about scattered densities within this breast as well. Birads 3. Recommendations: Repeat ultrasound in 90 days and highly likely surgical excision of the masses due to their complexity in nature and instability? OK, so 'PROBABLY BENIGN'??????????
Am I crazy or what? But probably doesn't mean it IS benign? The man looked highly concerned and I became that way because of the attentiveness to this breast and repeating last year all over again. Last year the palpable mass that was in my breast was said to have been 'just about all gone' following the biopsy.
What did it do, grow back? If so, this is not the same mass, it's still it's on entity? Right? And there are 2, one adjacent to the bigger one. So what I can't FEEL them-whats the difference?? THEY SEE THEM ON MAMMO AND ULTRASOUND, heck I would have never known they were there. Ok, thank God for yearly checkups and an ultrasound machine. Wait 90 days? for what, Changes?? What kind of Changes??? So some cancer can spread in me?? Why give it the chance to 'Change'??? I know,I know, it's probably benign.....right...hmm. End result, complete surgical excision, says it plain as day on my paperwork...but after another ultrasound in 90 days....End result, surgical excision.........................??? Hmmm, Now why are we waiting??? Does anyone know?
I read up on Solid Complex Cystic Masses last year and know that there are alot of possibilites that these are cancerous by their appearance and the fact they are solid. My radioligical report says ill-defined in nature?
About 4 weeks have gone by and I'm getting a bit anxious as to just what my odds are that this is very serious in nature. I just got thru with a year and a half ordeal of lyme disease. Good grief. Does anyone have any input-Should I be calling my OB going back over all this with him or just wait for this repeat ultrasound...?????
Hi Lisa, I'm sorry you're feeling this way. Too often we're patted on the head and told "don't worry about it." Well we do worry about it. If I were in your shoes, I'd call my OB and ask for an appointment to discuss the results, and all my options. You have a right to have everything explained to you in a way that makes you feel comfortable. Then if you still are not happy with the explanation or options offered to you, get a second opinion.
Try to stay balanced though, because I know that if I start reading too much about my condition, I can get caught up in all the "what if's". Take it one step at a time.
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for calm and a good outcome.
Well, the 90 day wait with repeat tests doesn't sound unreasonable under the circumstances. The Radiologist is correct in thinking that since these masses are very similar to your previous finding they are more than likely benign also. Of course we worry .... why wouldn't we when we are thinking "cancer" but I personally would try to stick it out and wait the 90 days. At that time there could have been some developments that would give a much better picture of what is going on in there. Yeah, I know, easier said than done but try, OK?? Regards & Strength ......
Yes, I will wait it out. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I have a lot of faith that things will be alright. I think because last year was such a scary year all together which began around March 07, I just felt some of that anxiety return. I've been feeling real good lately and just got over some serious issues with Lyme disease (off iv treatment) and have been in such good spirits about feeling well. The last thing I want to hear is something is wrong. I was scared in the office a few weeks ago at the time of the ultrasound because my thoughts were that maybe last year was the eye opener. When they put the marker (clip) in so that they could monitor this area for changes each year, I think it made me so aware that this area is of concern enough to watch it. Then to hear there were 2 solid masses, naturally I am worried. Also if the end result is to remove, then I think, do it now. However, I'm not a physician, I have no knowledge of the reasoning behind the wait and the doctors are the only ones that really know the reasons. After writing yesterday I think it allowed me to vent a bit and I felt better about it all. I'll ride it out. I will let you both know what becomes of this sometime in September when we repeat ultrasound and decide necessary action. Thanks for your kind words. God Bless.
Copyright 1994-2018MedHelp.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Vitals Consumer Services, LLC.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. MedHelp is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.