Breast Cancer Forum

Swollen Gland in Armpit

I am a 41 year old healthy, non-smoking, non-drinking female who has had yearly mammograms, all normal so far. A couple of days ago while shaving I noticed a painless, slightly swollen lymph node on the upper-right part of my armpit.   It's not hard or in any particular shape, just slightly swollen. You can only see that it's swollen when I extend my arm upwards. I tend to be somewhat of a hypochondriac because of my family's history of disease - pancreatic, lung and breast cancer among them, so I don't want to go rushing off to the doctor at every minor thing. Do you think I should wait and see if it gets larger before I have it examined? If so, how long should I give it? Could this be an indication of breast cancer? I have no other symptoms that I am aware of. Thanks you in advance for your reply.
Dear ihatepvcs:  A small lump in the armpit could be many things, including an ingrown hair or a tiny reactive lymph node.  From the location you describe and your history of normal mammograms, it seems worth watching for a week or so.  If it does not go away, you should see a doctor for evaluation.  In the meantime, if it gets larger, you should call sooner to schedule an appointment.
The swelling u r describing  could possibly one of the following

1)  Axillary lymph node which is mostly a benign

2) hypertrophied axillary tail of Spence

The best thing is to do a FNAC  or needle cytology

Dr Shivashankar
Consultant General & Laparoscopic surgeon
Thanks for your comments and advice. I'm wondering if it were breast related, if the lymph node would be closer to my breast. In any case, i will have it checked out during my yearly gynocologist visit next week. Other than a cold two weeks ago and a spider and mosquito bite on that arm, I can see no reason why it should be swelled.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.