Breast Cancer Forum

Tamoxifen

I have been on tamoxifen for 2 1/2 years. As a prev.measure due to be at high risk for breast cancer. Since I have been on the tamoxifen, I have continued to have hot flashes and night sweats, the hot flashes have decreased to about 1-2 times a day, but the night sweats have not decreased. I'm losing alot of sleep because of this. I spoke to my Oncologist regarding this, and he feels that "effexor" would help with the night sweats.Have you heard of doctors prescribing this to patients for night sweats? If so what have you heard about this drug. I've heard that once you go off this you have bad withdrawls.Any information you have would be very helpful.Thank You.
rfrancis
Dear rfrancis:  Hot flashes and nightsweats can be very bothersome.  There are several non-hormone related medications that may help with this problem.  Some women have had good results from vitamin B complex, vitamin E, and ibuprophen.  Another class of medications that have had reasonable success in controlling hot flashes are low doses of the SSRI antidepressant drugs (effexor is one of these types of drugs).  The effects of these medications are not immediate - it may take a couple weeks to notice any changes.  When stopping these drugs, the dose can be slowly tapered which would minimize any "withdrawal."  The other thing to discuss with your doctor is whether the benefit of taking the tamoxifen is worth the risk in your case.  If you are taking tamoxifen solely for prevention (and you have never had cancer), it may be worth a discussion.
I also have been taking tamoxifen,  for nearly 3 years
I know what you mean by hot flashes and sweats.  I am taking Effexor also.                            
I first was taking the 75 tablet, I asked my Oncologist if it would be alright to reduce it to the 37.5 tablet and  he said it would be, but to take the 75 one day and the 37.5 the next day, and so forth for a week.  I did that with no problems.  

I still am bothered by sweats and hot flashes, but not as often(I don't think)  Sometimes I consider stopping the Effexor.  It makes me sleepy.  
The amount your doctor will give you will be a low dosage.  It comes in several higher strengths.
I read your post and you said you are a high risk of breast cancer. I been trying to gether up as much info as I can on a condition. I'm trying to be patient but it's so hard, it's the waiting thats nerve racking.I'm 53 yrs old and premenapause I have a strong family history of breast cancer on my mothers side. But I personaly have had no problems up untill now. Which started out with a routine mammo and showed a cluster of microcalcifications on left breast, BRAD4 and then had a wire localisation w/ surgical excision biopsy. The pathology report said mucocele-like tumor, lesion measured 2.2mm.  with Atypical Intraductal Hyperplasia versus DCIS.So the pathologist recomended my slides be sent out to a second pathology for a second opinion.Because of the complexity of the two appearing so similar. Any way my question to you is, have you ever known of anyone be put on Tamoxifen for atyical intraductal huperplasia ? As a cancer preventive for this condition alone.
I been doing some reading on this condition and I know it puts me at a higher risk than some who hasn't got ADH.I also have been doing some reading on the Tamoxifen and it's side effects.
what ever you could tell me would be very helpful and appriciated . Thank you GardenAngel

I'm at high risk, because I've never had children, I've had 4 surg. biopsy, and I have ADH (atypical Ductal Hyperplasia)(This  was found on my mammogram as a cluster of microcalcification, and then the surg. biopsy was done and found the ADH. My general surgeon thought it would be a good idea for me to talk to an oncologist, and he was the one that put me on the Tamoxifen. The side effects for me was hot flashes which has decreased in the last 2 1/2 years, but the night sweats are unbearable, because of the disruption of sleep. I hope I answered your questions.
rfrancis
Those side effects seem like they would be bothersome. But if you don't mind my asking. Did the medication cause you to gain weight or loose any hair or cause nausa? I know it's a small price to pay rather then breast cancer but I'm just trying to get all the ups and downs on this Tamoxifen because it was brought up to me. Not everyone may get the same symptoms.  Hope I get some answers soon before I go nuts and I wish you much luck. Thank you for time your answers.  (God Bless)
                    GardenAngel
I forgot to state that the breast tenderness is nonexistant now, and I have been also told that the Tamoxifen can help with osteoporosis. My feeling is Tamoxifen is not the big bad wolf, that alot of people are stating. Again if it can save one life, it has done it's job.
rfrancis
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.