Breast Cancer Forum

Tamoxifen

Is tamoxifen for those who are at risk for recurrance on the initially diagnosed side and/or recurrance in the opposite breast only? And/or is it used to prevent metastasis to distant sites after mastectomy and chemo? Thank you
Dear moneu:  Tamoxifen is used in women whose cancers are ER/PR positive (estrogen receptor/progesterone receptor).  It is used to reduce the chance of recurrence both locally and distantly as well as reduce the risk of  developing a contralateral (opposite breast) breast cancer.  Tamoxifen can also be used to reduce the risk of developing breast cancer in women who are at high risk.
I believe tamoxifen has been superceded by Arimidex - after my diagnosis of invasive ductal cancer and chemotherapy I was switched after 2 months of tamoxifen ( in 2004) to Arimidex, which I believe has a much better prognosis  for recurrence than tamoxifen - that is if you are ER+.
It is my understanding (and I could be wrong) that Tamoxifen is still used instead of Arimidex depending on your menstrual status.  Tamoxifen for women who are ER/PR+ and have not gone through menopause and Arimidex for ER/PR+ for women who have undergone menopause.
Twocapes is correct in the use of Tamoxifen and Arimidex.  Right now Arimidex and Femara are not being given to premenopausal women.  I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years, diagnosed with bc on the other side from the first bc and am now on Femara.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.