Breast Cancer Forum

Tamoxifen

I'm finally coming off the tamoxifen. I have read if I start birthcontrol pills I should wait at least 2 mos. after taking tamoxifen. What is the reason for that, and what could happen if I take the pill before the 2 mos.?
Thank You for your time.
Dear rfrancis:  Tamoxifen is a medication that works by blocking estrogen to the breast tissue.  Birth control pills work by using combinations of estrogen and progesterone.  You may want to discuss with your oncologist and gynecologist whether the birth control pill is the best form of birth control for you and when it would be safe to use this considering your personal situation.

A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.