Breast Cancer Forum

Tests after my mastectomy

I had a modified Mastectomy on left breast Thursday morning, the 18th of April.  (Lobular carcinoma) Tomorrow morning, April 22, I will return to the hospital for a bone scan and a cat scan.  Is this regular procedure after surgery?  
Also,  After the surgery they took blood from my arm to test.  
Can it be told by this blood test if I still have some remaining cancer left?  Or is it just a blood test to see if I am amnemic, etc., as a regular blood test is?       Seven
Dear Seven:  A bone scan and/or CAT scan may be recommended based on the pathology or just as a precaution.  It is not always recommended.  It is somewhat physician specific.  To date, there is no blood test that can specifically identify cancer.  My guess is that this blood test was to test to see how your counts are after surgery.
In the above letter I just sent,  I should have put a modified radical mastectomy.   (I left out the radical by mistake)
hi seven
i was dx with lobular bc in feb 2002, like you i had a masectomy to the left breast with 4 out of 13 lymph nodes positive. had to have heart scan to see if my heart could cope with the chemo drugs then had bone scan chest xray and liver ultrasound glad to say all was clear but from what i can gather this is normal if you are going to have chemo and just to check everything is ok. my chemo is called FEC i have 4 of these then i have 4 on a trial drug called taxotere, after that i have to have radoitherepy then 5 years on tamoxifin. my tumor was 5cm i could not feel a lump just felt very hard to the right of my nipple and i noticed a change in the size, mind i am quite big anyway had my first chemo 2 weeks ago was quite nausia and not very well for the week but felt better as time went on. the blood tests are normal i have a lot done and probaly a lot more to come.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.