Breast Cancer Community

What is wrong with my breast

I am 42 and have been experiencing pain in left breast.  Had a mammogram and ultrasound with no abnormalities found.   However, during the mamogram I had yellowish discharge come out.   Because I have dense tissue my primary dr. referred me to a breast surgeon.  Since then I have greenish discharge from both breast.  The breast surgeon said it doesn't think that my pain is anything to worry about.  He did a test and said there was no blood in the discharge, however he wants me to have an MRI.  The pain is usually sharp to dull, and located at the same place in the breast but can run in arm pit, under my arm and down my side.  The pain worsens if I lean on my arm or carry something with that arm.  Sometimes the pain is a burning sensation.  I'm so scared and am not coping well waiting for all of this.  I just wish it would go away.  Does it sound like a symptom of cancer to you?
Going through your post, it points towards some type of inflammation probably infection. Have u been submitted for a culture and sensitivity test of the discharge. Pain under the arm could be due to the inflamed nodes. If this is the diagnosis, then u may be required to take a  course of appropriate antibiotics. with this history to speak of cancer would be premature.
The nipple discharge needs to be sent for lab examination to see if a diagnosis can be made. A discharge from the nipple in most women is common due to squeezing or breast self exam. Pain in the breast could be due to an infectious process like mastitis or breast abscess, hormonal fluctuations during the menstrual cycle, tight clothing or trauma or injury to the breast tissue. Wear lose clothing and apply some soothing creams at the sight. Do you notice a lump, or any skin changes at the site? You need to get a clinical evaluation done by a physician and ask him whether you need to take any painkillers or antibiotic medication. Goodluck.
Thanks for getting back to me.  My primary doctor did a slide discharge test and it came back ok.  However, she couldn't get much discharge on the slide.  My breast specialist did an instant test in his office by putting the discharge on a tester and adding drops.  He said that if it turned a color (I believe blue) that there was blood in the discharge.  Thank goodness it did not turn blue.  I don't know that he did a sensativity test?  What is that?  The pain under the arm sometimes coincides with the breast pain but at other times the breast has sharp pains alone.  Now my other breast seems to have pains and both nipples are sensative.  What the heck?
I appreciate your feedback.  I do not notice any lumps or skin changes at the site.  My other breast and underarm area is starting to experience pains but not as severe as the other breast.  I have seen a breast specialist a week ago and am having an MRI next Thursday.  Say a prayer please.
Dont worry and let the MRI report come in. Discuss with your radiologist the report in detail. A sensitivity test is done after a culture where in the microbiologist finds some organisms like bacteria in the sample to suggest an infective etiology. Then the sensitivity of these organisms or resistance thereof is seen to various antibiotics. This helps the physician to decide which antibiotic medication should be prescribed. Goodluck with the MRI.
The sensitivity test is a test done after an organism is grown in the culture media and this helps us to know an appropriate antibiotics for the grown microbe.
This is basically done for any infective pathology. This test was suggested since you had made an mention of greenish discharge from both the breasts. As you are about to undergo  MRI , let's await the reports. Hope for the best.
Still anxious about getting the MRI test on Thursday and especially the results.  What is a bilateral MRI?  

Also I noticed a tender spot on my side, on the rib area next to the breast that is hurting.  It is tender to the touch and when I move around that area.  I don't notice a lump or bump and it feels the same as the other side.  Could that be a node?  Could I be getting referred pain in my breast from that area?  Would that make the nipples discharge the green substance.  Does it sound like an infection still or oh my gosh the worst case?  I'm not coping well still because I am fearing the worst.

Thank you so much.
Relax, Relax and Relax.
There is no terminology as Bilateral MRI as far as my knowledge is concerned. Probably, it should have been MRI of breasts bilaterally. This means that both breasts are to studied.
Probably, the tender spot with lump mentioned by you, could be something in relation to  chest wall like chondritis,......
Will await the MRI report to be released. Best of luck for MRI

Thank you so much.
Sonu78
I made it through the MRI.  You were right, the test was for both breasts.  The tender spot does not appear to be a lump, it is just tender.  Could this be related to pain in my breast?  Like referred pain?  What else causes pain of the breast and nipple discharge that is green?
Thank you.

I can't offer any medical advice, but I do know when I was younger I had breast pain here and there, a week before my period, now as I am getting older (43)  I notice more pains in my breasts and swelling for longer periods of time.  I figure it's something to do with menopause and my cycle changing.  I can't say if that is what is happening, but thinking back have you noticed more tenderness at a certain time?
Appreciate your feedback.
Fine now that it is not the lump and just a tender spot, it is more likely to be fibroadenosis of breast. There other reason for the pain could be costchondritis of the ribs underneath the breast tissue.
With reference to  nipple discharge, causes are
1. Galactorrhoea - milky discharge (prolactin production in absence of lactation)
2. Solitary intraductal papilloma - is the most common cause for spontaneous discharge from a single duct.
3.Fibrocystic change or cystic mastopathy
4.Mammary duct ectasia --- is one of the most common causes of abnormal nipple discharge. One or more of the ducts beneath your nipple becomes inflamed and clogged with a thick, sticky, green or black substance.

NIPPLE DISCHARGE IS COMMON AND IS RARELY ASSOCIATED WITH UNDERLYING MALIGNANCY.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.