Breast Cancer Forum

armpit lump?

The last couple of days I have had slight pain in my armpit... this morning I woke up to it hurting pretty badly... and I found a large (quarter / oblong) lump there.  I immediately called for a dr apt and got online... I don't want to be an alarmist but I have a history of many kinds of cancer in my family and I don't want to take any chances that I might miss something.  My dr. examined it and said that it was a lump and although he could not expain the source of the infection, he was going to put me on anibiotics for 10 days and "watch it" he felt that because it hurt to touch that it was not cancer.  (He stated that cancer lumps do not hurt) He also asked to get an xray.  Will an xray show possible cancer?  My dad had lymphoma that they "watched" for 3 weeks and he almost died.  My mom died of Brian cancer last year, am I being crazy that I don't want to "watch it" and see???  Does pain mean that it is NOT cancer?  What tests need to be done?  I don't want to be crazy about this but I have too much negative experience with passive dr.'s and cancer.  I do not want to stand by and "see what happens"...
Dear lurae;  It is true that most breast cancer is not painful.  Also, a sudden painful lump in the armpit is more likely to be infection or some other type of inflammation.  You do not state what type of x-ray is ordered.  X-ray is useful for identifying some problems but not all.  You may want to discuss the type of x-ray with your doctor to find out what he is looking for.  If, in your doctor’s opinion, this is most likely infection, it may be reasonable to “watch” it for a week or so to see if it improves.  If it becomes worse or doesn’t improve, you should call your doctor for re-evaluation.
hey i had the same problem..i am only 15...& there is a spot under my arm pit which hurts badly....its not visble..but when i press it i feel its something like a small ball....it pains quite a lot....so i just wanted to know do i have a risk of getting b cancer...

& 1 more thing my grand mom (dad's mom) also had "b cancer" & was cured....she had it whe i was abt 4 to 5 years old...so tahst y i am worried abt...

& a few months back i had this rash like thing on my aerola region..went to a doctor..she said it was a fungal infection..she gave some medicines & an onitment..it was completely cured...not a single mark was left..she also checked for lumps...& found none...

can ne1 help me...
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.