Breast Cancer Community

armpit lump

My wife has detected a lump below the skin in the armpit. She is 40 and has a mamogram 2 months ago. the test was clean, but because of th location of the lump i doubt that it was scanned. My wifes parents have both passed from cancer one from lung and the other from pancreas. The lump has been there for about three weeks and has recently become painfull the sensation that she has described is a burning when she lifts her arm. the lump is about 2/3 the size of a spungy golf ball with a firm center and recently sensitive to the touch. the swelling goes from the front of the pit to the back of the pit. If you were me would you be concern and would you be pushing the doc for all the tests and which are the most important test to have.

Thank You
Kurt Keener
An armpit lump refers to enlargement of one or more lymph nodes under the arm.
Lumps in the armpit have various causes. Abscesses under the skin may also produce large, painful lumps in the armpit.
Lymph nodes are filters that can catch infectious organisms or cancerous tumor cells. When they do, lymph nodes increase in size and are easily felt. A breast self-examination should always include the armpit because breast cancer can enlarge the armpit lymph nodes even when the breast itself seems perfectly normal.
Lumps may occur when lymph nodes are swollen due to bacterial or viral infections, vaccinations , and cancer.
After performing a physical exam, which includes both breasts, armpits, and the neck and chest area. Additional tests may include:
Mammography to help identify the breast lump
Breast MRI to help better identify the breast lump
Breast ultrasound to show whether the lump is solid or fluid-filled
Breast biopsy, needle aspiration, or breast lump removal to remove all or part of the breast lump for closer examination by a laboratory specialist .
ref:http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000913.htm
You do need to be concerned about any lump in the breast which includes the axilla too.

A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.