Breast Cancer Community

breast fat necrosis

After a breast reduction 5 weeks ago my surgeon now informed me the lump under my left nipple is fat necrosis. My PS kind of dismissed my concerns and said to massage the area to help break up the mass. Should I seek a 2nd opinion from my GYN? Should I get a mammogram or ultrasound at this point?
If you had breast reduction surgery just five weeks ago, it's common to get a harmless lump or swellings called "fat necrosis" which is caused by scar tissue or deposit of dead fat cells.The lump forms to fill the space left by the tissue that was removed.When this happens, it's advisable to gently massage the area.Usually there are no specific treatment recommendations for fat necrosis.Some doctors recommend warm compresses, but the lump often resolve on it's own.If I were you I, would wait a while longer to see if the lump start to shrink
But if the mass persists too long,if it enlarges or becomes bothersome,you could certainly seek a second opinion to see if some type of tests and even a minor surgery to remove the area, would be recommended.
Best wishes...
Thank you so much for the reply. There is so much info online I just don't know what to think anymore. I've made an appt w my GYN for next Monday bc I've known her 15+ years and trust her.  I am using a warm compress and gently massaging a few times a day. Hopefully it will resolve itself. Plastic surgeons may see fat necrosis all the time but this is new to me and a bit frightening. I'm more than just a "breast reduction"... I'm a whole person with valid concerns about my recovery.  Thanks again.  
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.