Breast Cancer Community

breast lump

37 y old female- hx of breast implants and removal within 3 months in 1999....lump appeared in January in left breast (most effected by implants-nerve damage scar tissue etc.)  Had mammogram and ultrasound- only revealed seroma in left breast where implant used to sit.  Again large lump reappeared in May same spot- had ultrasound at different imaging place and with a radiologist who spent 1/2 on the breast.  He found seroma and dense breasts but that is all.  This extremely hard lump feels like an extension of my rib cage.  It can get bigger especially with my period.  but you CAN  NOT move it- it feels as hard as bone and is definitely a lump...could all of these tests missed a cancer and can cancer be detected on the rib cage from a mammo or ultrasound- and can cancer grow and shrink? I am so confused!  I also had a chest xray last year for chiropractor but I am not sure if a tumor would show up on that resolution..
Breast with previous implants are likely to have some scar tissue and seroma, making examining them harder, but not impossible. In general, when lumps change in size, it is generally attributed to hormonal changes associated with menstruation. The area that cannot be moved  is likely due to scarring from the implants. Cancers generally grow, sometimes there are periods of indolence, but shrinking and enlarging is  an  unlikely characteristic.  Its probably best to simply continue with monitoring.

A chest X-ray is not likely to “capture” the tumor, the mammogram may.  Perhaps the best test  is the ultrasound.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.