Breast Cancer Forum

breast lump

I am a 49 yo male who is in excellent physical condition and is thin. Yesterday I noticed my right breast was very sore. Upon inspection I noticed an area the size of a half dollar on my skin that is red and very tender. It extends from the areola toward the collarbone. Underneath the skin there is a small lump that is about 1/2 inch across. When I pinch the same small area of the left breast I get only about 1/8 inch of just skin, so obviously something abnormal is going on just under the surface of the right breast.

When I pinch the entire nipple and surrounding area on the left breast I can feel a nodule that is maybe 1 inch in diameter. With the right breast the nodule feels about 1.5 inches across so it obviously extends deeper than just the small part I can feel when I pinch a very localized surface area.

I understand that breast cancer is usually painless and that this lump is probably something else, but can anyone give me an idea if it might be cancer. I am not on any medication that could cause a problem. It isn't gynecomastia, which I had as a kid, so I know what that feels/looks like, and the presentation is much different.

Also, I plan on seeing the Dr. as soon as possible but what do you think the odds are of him wanting to do some kind of a biopsy based on what I have described.

Jeff
Dear Jeff:  Without evaluation, it is impossible for us to speculate on what this may be.  A painful red nodule could be a simple as a bug bite or infection but examination would be necessary to sort that out.  Our advice is to see your doctor for evaluation.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.