cognitive changes on femara

My mom who is a 7 year stage 2 breast cancer survivor has recently developed severe short term memory loss. She is 86 years old, but this is a sudden change for her. Her GP gave her some sort of 10 question test, which he said "she passed". She went through 5 years of tamoxifen and is on her 3rd year of femara. She never had chemo. Could these drugs, especially the Femara, be causing her memory problems?
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
Dear annaevangelina:  There have been no reports of
Until the bc nurse answers you, I thought I would just respond. I have bc, had chemo and rads, and I have short term memory loss, think it is called "chemo brain". I am 62 yrs. However, at your Mom's age, short term memory loss is almost inevitable. My husband, who is 78 yrs old, was a very bright electronics engineer, working with satellite technology, also has this, to a small degree.

My closest cousin was dx with Alzheimers at 50 yrs and was given the cognitive test - asked to name 10 colours, and she couldn't do it. She unfortunately died in a fire at her home and we have no answers as to why.

I would think if your Mum passed the 10 question test, she is doing okay - we all get short memory loss as we get older.

I would not be unduly concerned with your mother's problem and would be surprised if it is due to Femara. I have taken Arimidex for some 3 yrs now, and I don't think my memory loss is a contributory factor.

I will be interested to see what the nurse says.
Take care, Liz.
A related discussion, Memory Loss and Arimidex was started.