I found a lump 6 weeks ago the doctor referred me to the breast clinic,i had a mammogram and ultrasound and was told there was a mass there that needed further investigation. The doctor then did a needle core biopsy but didn't get enough tissue sample to test. He then said i needed an ultrasound core biopsy which i had last week,3 samples were taken . I went to hospital today for results to be told that they were inconclusive and needed another ultrasound core biopsy in 2 weeks time when bruising goes down as they are still concerned with the findings.I am so confused, scared i just need some answers.
The concern with any biopsy that only removes a portion of tissue is that there could be some left behind that may yield different results. Most physicians would rather repeat the biopsy to make certain that nothing is left to chance.
I can quite understand your fear and confusion,but this things happen....In my opinion the doctor is taking good care of you.With more samples taken, a definite diagnosis could be achieved.
The fact that you still have to go through another biopsy and waiting again for the results,is nerve wreaking, but this is something that we cannot avoid.... so many of us had to endure the same scary feelings.
Try not to stress yourself too much, and remember that most lumps that are biopsied return a benign finding.I hope that your results will be good too.
Sincere best wishes...
Thank you so much for your comment,will try not to stress to much,it's nice to be able to talk to people that have already been through it. As for having the lump removed Ma111 i have not been given that option yet as they want to find out what it is. But that will be an option if it arises. Thank you for your kind words.
You may have already had your third biopsy on this mass. If so, I truly hope the results were benign.
I just wanted to let you know that I've had 3 biopsies of 5 different areas over the last five years and each time I was offered and chose excisional biopsy. My rationale was that if it WAS malignant I'd need it out, so why do two procedures instead of one? My surgeon was always fine with that. Only two areas were palpable masses, the others were seen on mammo or US only, so I had needle loc before the excisions. None of them were terribly painful either before or after the surgery and I was out for the excisions, so I'm glad I chose this route. I'm know it's not for everyone, and each person has to make her own choices, but just something to consider and talk with your doctor about. Please let us know how you're doing.
I'm adding my good wishes to you and sending you a hug ( ),
Have had 3rd biopsy which went well not much bruising this time they said they would send results by post if everything ok. We have just got back off hols and i received a phone call saying i need an MRI scan tomorrow, i am now panicking as I don't know the result of the last biopsy,can't understand why i need an MRI, i need to feel positive i am so trying to but its really hard.
Your support is much appreciated and huge hugs back.
It could be that your last biopsy was again inconclusive and the radiologist wants to pursue this matter by having an MRI.
I wouldn't jump to any conclusion right now,but I think that this lump has to be further investigated and an MRI is certainly advisable under these circumstances.
My prayers and positive thoughts are on your way...and I wish you all the best. :)
Sure hope your MRI goes well! The first time I had one I thought it was kind of weird lying there with your boobs hanging down and getting the contrast was a strange feeling, but overall painless and really pretty easy. The biggest hope is that it was able to give you more conclusive results and some direction for the future. I know how hard it is not knowing what's going on and you've sure had your share of that. Please try to stay
positive and just take one day and one step at a time. My thoughts are with you, too, and I'm hoping for benign results.
Thanx for your comment it is reassuring knowing someone that has already gone through it. MRI went well like you said it is uncomfortable and as you said last biopsy result came back inconclusive. As the nurse said MRI scans for breasts is certainly developed by a man LOL.Well i feel a lot more positive just waiting for the results.Thanx zouzi for your thoughts they are appreciated i am really glad i've actually got somewhere to go to chat with women in the same situation really hard to talk to people that don't know how it feels. Thanx again for your kind words and support i will keep you posted .
Just to let you know MRI came back clear. I have to go back in 3 months for an ultrasound to see what the Mass is doing. It is benign they will no remove the mass there just going to keep an eye on it.
So good news i think
Thank you so much for all of your support
If your next ultrasound test, still comes back inconclusive,if I were you, I would insist to have this lump removed surgically to finally have this problem resolved once and for all.
Even though everything seems fine right now,I am sure that you are still worried about it. Removing this lump would give you peace of mind,so that you can enjoy life with no more worries.
Thank you for letting us know and all the best to you!
PS.Please keep us posted...
Glad to hear the good news, Barb!
I would agree with zouzi if your results are inconclusive in 3 months.
Having it removed would definitely give you a definitive answer and put you at ease. Having been through this 3 times already, I understand the worry that is always nagging at the back of your mind. Now with my LCIS diagnosis, I need a mammo and MRI alternating every six months. While I'm happy to do it and stay on top of things, it's still
very stressful and worrisome while waiting for results. I just know if they ever find anything again, I will want it out!
Wishing you all the best and benign results again in 3 months!
so..I had my annual mammogram screening (technician seemed off, told me she had overslept and was out of it), Dr called and wanted a diagnostic mammogram since they saw something. Went in and they showed where there was something in the left duct. Asked if I had time for an ultrasound, if needed. The technician came back to take more pictures (she started to do my right breast and I had to tell her it was the left, even though she had just done the left breast 10 minutes earlier) wait for another 10 minutes and she says ok...all done, no ultrasound needed. Get a call from my doctors office saying they want me to see a breast specialist, something about calcifications (wouldn't tell me whether it was macro or micro) I have an appointment tomorrow with the breast specialist, so imagine my surprise when the hospital calls me to pre register me for surgery on Friday. I said "what surgery", she tells me stereotactic biopsy. I told her "I haven't even see the doctor yet and she's ordering a biopsy in 3 days". so I told the hospital I was not having any surgery since I was not even officially this doctors patient. crazy.... My question is...should I ask for an ultra sound?? I know everyone says sterotactic biopsy's are not bad, but it is still invasive surgery. Thank you. oh...and I had breast reduction 25 years ago, could the calcifications be due to the trauma of that surgery in addition to getting older (53).
Just a suggestion: You will be more likely to get helpful answers to your question if you start a new thread of your own. When you tack a question onto the end of someone else's thread it may get overlooked, as people tend it is just an additional response to the original poster.
Copyright 1994-2018MedHelp.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Vitals Consumer Services, LLC.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. MedHelp is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.