Breast Cancer Community

cramping after muscle sparing tram flap

I had a muscle sparing tram flap reconstruction surgery over 2 years ago following a bilateral mastectomy for triple negative breast cancer.  I am continually plagued by intense abdominal cramping like a charley horse I assume at the site of the muscle removal.  It tends to flare up when I am bending over and exerting myself in some way. The pain is so bad, it literally drops me to my knees.  I've seen the surgeon several times and they keep ruling out a hernia, but they can offer me no explanation or advice other than to go see an internist. Once I've had an episode, the smallest thing can set off the cramping.  I don't know if I should be resting it or exercising what's left of the muscle.to try to treat it. Has anyone gone through this and had any improvement.  If so, what helped?
I am sorry to hear that you are having this terrible cramping pain in your abdomen!  
I have no experience regarding your situation, but I know that many women who had this type of breast reconstruction, develop similar problems and it's important that you consult an internist ( as your Surgeon recommended) or ask your Doctor for a referral to a Pain Management Clinic .These specialists are skilled in the use of not only medications for pain control but they also have access to a wide variety of other pain management techniques.
In the meantime please click on the link below that might be helpful to you. You'll find lots information from other women who have experienced discomfort and pain due to Tram Flap surgery.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/search/54?utf8=%26%23x2713%3B&query=tram+flap+reconstruction

All the best and I hope you’ll find relief soon.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.