Breast Cancer Community

male painful and swollen nipple

My son is 14 and recently has told me of a small pea size lump that I can feel in his right nipple that is swollen and sore. He tells me it has been there for two weeks but is getting more sore. Im not sure if this is normal for a boy in puberty such as he is???
Breast cancer in adolescent males is virtually unheard of.However,teenage boys going through puberty commonly develop a tender lump under the nipple of one or both breasts. This condition is called “gynecomastia.”caused by hormone changes during puberty, is very common, affecting many teenage boys. It is normal, temporary, and not a sign of breast cancer.
If the pain and swelling of the nipple persists,a visit to the doctor would be a good idea so that you can be reassured and have peace of mind.
Best wishes to both you and your son.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.