Breast Cancer Forum

mild burning pain in breast and sensitive nipple

I have been experiencing a mild burning pain in my left breast from my lower armpit to my nipple.  Sometimes my nipple is so sensitive I can't stand my bra touching it.  This all comes and goes, its not constant.  I have had an ultrasound and a diognostic mammogram and nothing turned up.  I would like your professional opinion on my condition.  I am 58 years old, and have my ovaries but not my uterus due to a partial hysterectomy.

My gynocologist advised taking evening primrose oil, which has helped somewhat, but I still have discomfort.  This has been going on since around Thanksgiving.  I am not on any medication.  I took nitrofurantoin for a bladder infection around the same time as this discomfort started.  The radiologist said there should be no connection, my gynocologist said there might be.
Dear Ms.JulieT:   Breast pain is a common breast symptom.  The reason for breast pain is not clearly understood, and is not usually associated with breast cancer.  Breast pain is sometimes associated with hormonal variations and is then called cyclical breast pain.  Noncyclical breast pain does not seem to be linked to hormonal variations and is often localized to one area of the breast tissue.  Noncyclical breast pain may or may not be the result of an injury to the breast.  It is difficult to say what this pain may be without the ability to examine and ask questions.  
A related discussion, sore ipples was started.
A related discussion, What causes sore nipples? was started.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.