Breast Cancer Community

my results are in- can you help

Ok so now I have had my surgery, went to the doctor for a follow up, and I have the results from the test.... but I don't understand them... I know this
2 cm mass was removed along with what he was calling "just a cyst" - it took longer than he expected cuz he went deeper in
not in the nodes
her 2 (+)
er (+)
pr (+)

When I asked what this all means, they just say,  these rhings will determine the treatment. Well OK  I get that BUT what does it mean? Do these things mean it is a more dangerous type of cancer, more recurring type of cancer, etc.... should I have gone with a mastectomy instead of lumpectomy? Is that an option now before I start treatment? And will that matter?
I just really want to understand it more than they are giving me I guess. If anyone can help any info - good bad or ugly! I like to know ahead of time not when I am in the doctors office and they try to get me to make decisions.
Thanks in advance,
Lisa
First a request: if you will add any additional posts to your original thread, so that your information will all be in one place, it will help us to provide better answers, as well as help other members who have been following our discussions to know when you have posted again. If possible, please copy and paste your post above onto your original thread:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Breast-Cancer/undecided---mastecomy-or-lumpectomy/show/1362176?personal_page_id=1804310#post_6282172

Thanks!

Now, on  to your current questions:

1. A 2 cm mass is fairly large (approaching an inch in diameter), At 2cm, it is on the upper limit of the T1 category in the TNM classifcation system for determining the Stage of a person's BC. Above 2cm it would be a T2. (This probably doesn't mean too much to you, but as your doctor indicated, it is used in tx planning.)

2. As tamos indicated above, ER and PR are parts of your "hormone receptor status" and ER+/PR+ is considered favorable, because there are targeted treatments (tamoxifen and AIs) for it which can significantly reduce your risk for recurrence.

3. The fact that you have no lymph node involvement (meaning cancer cells appear not to have spread from your tumor to the axillary lymph nodes) is another good-news finding.

4. HER2+ staus is a concern, because this indicates an aggressive type of BC with an increased risk of recurrence. For this reason, the latest view is that even small HER2+ tumors call for tx with both chemo and Herceptin (a targeted tx for HER2+ BC).

"From the San Antonio Breast Conference in December, new data shows a higher than predicted rate of breast cancer recurrence even with very small breast cancers that are HER2 positive. The data is from the first large study to analyze early-stage breast cancer patients with HER2 positive tumors one centimeter or smaller. All these women would benefit from adjuvant Trastuzumab, also known as Herceptin, (for one year, the standard in America) - along with adjuvant chemotherapy. This represents a shift in the way women with early-stage HER2 positive breast cancer should be assessed for risk of recurrence and considered for treatment, according to the study's author."

4. All of this does not  mean you made the "wrong choice" in having a lumpectomy, because in cases where either approach was an option, studies have not found a difference in survival rate related to which surgery was chosen by the patient. However, many women are still choosing mastectomies even when they are not considered medically necessary. These are the most common reasons given for that choice:
1. If no spread to nodes, then didn't need to go through radiation if took mast. route. 2.  Wanted to make sure it was completely gone.  3. Esp. with older women, some were more concerned about survival and the strain and inconvenience of returning repeatedly for radiation (esp. where access to care and poverty were issues), than with appearance. 4. Even with younger women, if a person's breasts are on the small side, a lumpectomy for a larger growth may not leave a cosmetically pleasing result, making mast. and reconstructive surgery preferable.

A mastectomy is still an option if that is what you want, but the best timing for it  is something you would best discuss with your treatment team.

Best wishes,
bluebutterfly
Hi Lisa
That is estrogen and progesterine (sp) positive which means that it feed on er and pr .  My oncologist said better prognosis- good
Her 2 positive is more aggressive more risk coming back however they have an antibody (herceptin) which helps with that.  Hope that helps.  
For the sake of continuity, popvendr321's question and my reply have been copied to her original thread, which you can locate by clicking on the link below:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Breast-Cancer/undecided---mastecomy-or-lumpectomy/show/1362176
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.