radiologist's report

I got the radiologist's report from my Ob/Gyn yesterday regarding my last mammogram and I was hoping it could be explained to me.  I will be having both a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound on Monday.

COMPARISON: June 2002
COMPOSITION: Scattered fibroglandular densities
COMMENTS:
There is no evidence of dominant suspicious mass or malignant calcification.  Mild to moderate parenchymal thickening is noted, with slight asymmetric density in the posterior and lateral aspect of the left breast.  This appears a little more conspicuous in a couple of areas on the cc view than on the last exam, likely technique related.  Otherwise, there does not appear to be a signifigant interval change.

IMPRESSION: STABLE APPEARING FIBROCYSTIC CHANGES EXCEPT FOR QUESTIONABLY SLIGHTLY MORE CONSPICUOUS PARENCHYMAL DENSITY AND NODULARITY ON THE LEFT ON THE CC VIEW.

RECOMMENDATION: I would suggest additional spot compression filming on the left breast and bilateral 90 degree lateral views for clarification of the above.  If a true nodule is demonstrated, targeted left breast ultrasound would be appropriate.

BIRADS 0 - NEEDS ADDITIONAL IMAGING EVALUATION

Dear amom2girlz, Basically the report is indicating that there are no obvious problems, however there are a few questionable findings that a more focused mammogram and ultrasound should clarify.   BIRADS scale is a rating system used by radiologists to categorize findings on a mammogram. The scale runs from 1 to 5. 1 being nothing to comment on. Routine screening. to 5 being highly suggestive of malignancy. A rating of 0 just indicates that additional evaluation to clarify findings is recommended.
Sounds like pretty good news to me.  it seems they feel that everything is fine and that there was a little snafu with the actual taking of the image itself.  They just want to double-check a little closer to make sure that is all that it is.  
BIRAD 0 means no suspicious findings.
Actually, Birad 0 means the imaging was inconclusive and more images are needed. After additional images are taken a new Birad rating should be given. Most of the time everything is fine. It's best to get the additional images taken just to be sure.
I stand to be corrected!  Thanks for letting me know!
Does anyone know what the expert meant by "a few questionable findings?"  I get my results on Friday.  Please pray for me and my family.  Thank you.
You will be in my prayers.  questionable findings means that they have to check for a malignancy.  Remember..they are only checking...it doesn't mean you have it!  Take a deep breath and try to stay positive (I know, easier said than done).  Remember also, the doctors have to check EVERYTHING today even if they know it is fine....they don't want any lawsuits!!!!!  HANG IN THERE and God Bless.
Wow...I have been called back too, with almost the same findings.  Although I don't have the actual report to write from, my doctor told me it said "slight asymmetrical density in the left breast" and that there were no calcifications, lumps, or masses.  They just wanted to clarify the image.  When the tech called me she said "the tissue just didn't line up quite the same".  I have been consumed with this since the call last week...I go in tomorrow for second mammogram and ultrasound.  Everything I've read reassures me that we should come out just fine...I really think the anticipation is the worst, at least so far!  If nothing else, I'll definitely have an ulcer!  Please let me know what happens, I will too.  You will be in my prayers tonight.
Hi,ive just had my results from a core biopsy on my right breast and fine needle biopsy on my left.The core biopsy showed Fibroadenoma B2 no evidence of insitu or invasive malignancy.The fibroadenoma was 15mm heterogenous with echogenic halo and slightly irregular margins indeterminate but suspicious.R4 P2.   The fine needle showed Duct ectasia.Approx 10ml cytorich red FNA collection fluid.Cytology report showed abundant amorphous debris admixed with inflammatory cells macrophages and blood.No epithelial or malignant cells are seen.My consultant says everythings fine ican have the fibro out if i want. I dont know hed do it with a wire under general aneasthetic.He doesnt think it needs to but if im concerned hed do it.Of course with bieng British the great National Health Service means its of no cost to me .ANY HELP OR ADVICE??? Im a 43 year old married mum of 3 THANKS ALOT
Coming here makes me feel like I'm surrounded with support.  I feel so self-absorbed these days.  I feel like I'm cheating my husband and kids out of their time, but all I can think about is MY BREASTS!!  I went for my follow-up mammogram and ultrasound today.  First the radiologist said he wasn't too concerned, and after looking at the second films he would suggest waiting six months and then come back.  But since I'm moving next month, he said we should do the ultrasound, just to be certain.  I did the ultrasound and I could see two black areas on the screen.  They didn't seem huge, but they were close together.  The tech took pictures and measured.  They didn't appear round, like the images I've seen of cysts, but the radiologist now recommends biopsy.  I'm scheduled for Monday morning, 8:00 a.m..  I'm so nervous I feel sick, and I keep crying.  I can't think about anything else.  I know the chances of this being nothing are good, but I'm so anxious.  I'm waiting for my doctor to call me.  Another long weekend of waiting and worrying.  I know it's good to catch these things early, but I don't want there to be anything to catch!?!?!  Then I have to wait 3-4 days for my results...how am I supposed to go on normally?  Advice?  Please?
These breast problems are nerve-wracking and miserable! When I went through the "abnormal breast findings" I usually kept my worries to myself, but one day mentioned them to a close friend. She told me, "We're not going there (meaning we're not talking about cancer) unless it turns out to be cancer." I felt she was very abrupt and I was mad at first, but then realized I was worrying about a fear, not a reality. It helped me change my focus to the fact that at this point it is not cancer, it is only suspicious and that many biopsies turn out benign. I found praying, staying busy, and trying to focus on a more positive outcome or upcoming events helped me. Please don't feel guilty about being absorbed with your breast problems. But if you focus on the positive it might help you feel less stressed. I will keep you in my prayers.
Hi ,just finshed reading your story and I do hope you are feeling a little better.Waiting is one of the hardest parts.I myself went for several test and just had a lumpetompy and waiting for the result.A couple of things that help me is praying and talking about it.My husband must have heard the same stories over and over but by me venting , its help.However I have now learned not to put all my focus on my breast.I can't control what is about to happen but I can control my outlook .The one thing I heard so often from family and friends is , you will be fine....I pray that god will watch over you and give you peace while waiting for the result.All the best...
Well, after a loooong weekend I finally had my biopsy this morning.  The radiologist looked at my ultrasound and said "I'm going to try fine needle aspiration first, because they could be cysts".  This was news to me...no one had mentioned that before.  He numbed me up and drained them both...right there!  He said that I was done, have a great day, and come back in a year.  It was that simple, 15 minutes, then I was done.  I can't tell you how relieved I was....I almost cried.  I jumped up to get dressed and the nurse said "Umm, do you want me to clean up the iodine first?"  I didn't even care...what a relief.  I have been anxious for several weeks.  My heart is firmly with all of you now, and I am waiting anxiously to hear how your results come in.  My prayers are with everyone and I will keep checking in.  I've learned a lot of lessons, I've been humbled, and I count you all among my friends.  Thanks for your support!
GRRReat news! congratulations!!
I'm so happy for you. Have a fantastic week!

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.