Breast Cancer Forum

scar tissue after biopsy?

I was looking for information on pain and scar tissue formation after an excisional biopsy eight months ago. I'm 29 and had a "fibroadenoma with focal non-atypical ductal epithelial hyperplasia and apocrine metaplasia" removed from the right breast. I've been experiencing intermittent sharp and burning pain in the same breast; comes and goes through the entire month (for 3 or 4 months now)...with a distinct thickening deep in my breast. I'd like to know if it's normal to have a lot of scar tissue and pain after something like this? My right breast feels much different from the left and it's hard to tell what's normal. I'm in the military and have a hard time getting in to see a doctor, so was looking for info on if this is normal this long after surgery, and what if anything to do. Thankyou.
Dear xena:  Although it is possible to develop scar tissue after any surgery, it is also possible to develop another fibroadenoma or other condition.  It is impossible, without examining your breast, to know what may be happening.  We would recommend that you see your doctor so that you can be examined and determine the source of both the lump and the discomfort.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.