Breast Cancer Community

swollen hand

Sir,

My mother is 71 year old and she is a breast cancer patient .Her right breast was operated(mastechtomy) in the year 2002, february.From februrary 2002 to march 2007 she has taken
tamoxifen 10mg twice daily. From last week i observe that her right hand is gradually swelling.I am
worried please give me suggestion.

thanking you
Pallab Guha Biswas

This could be lymphedema due to lymphatic obstruction psot surgery.

It would be best to consult her oncologist or breast specialist about this at the earliest possible.

A proper clinical evaluation is required, then certain exercises and massage techniques alongwith the further follow up and management plan would be decided.

Do let us know what her doctor has advised.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.