Breast Cancer Community

underarm pain

Hello.  I am a 35 year old woman and a breast cancer survivor.  I had a double masectomy in November of 2003, followed by reconstruction, chemotherapy and radiation.  I have done pretty good up until the past few months.  I  do not have health insurance (my husband and I recently moved to another state looking for work).  I have not been able to afford to go to the doctor, but have been suffering from bad pain in my right under arm and armpit area.  I usually don't worry about aches and pains unless they don't go away, and this hasn't gone away for three months.  Could my cancer of came back in this area or is that unlikely?  Could it be nerve damage from my surgeries?  I know you can't diagnose me, but could you please give me some suggestions on what you think?  Thank you very much!

This discussion is related to breast and underarm pain.

Nothing can be said with absolute surety until a proper clinical evaluation is done and relevant investigations done too. Especially in your case, considering your past medical history.

You need to follow up with a doctor soon. Till you get an appointment you could try warm compresses and oral pain relief medications.

Let us know if you have any other doubts.

Regards.
A related discussion, breast pain and underarm pain was started.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.