Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

12 week old baby with thrush!

My daughter is 12 weeks old and she's had thrush for over a month and I've gotten 2 doses of nystatin for her and i was told 1 ml 5x a day and it just seems like I can get rid of it, it is so hard to give it to her that many times a day especially after she eats too, she likes to spit it out. Plus a lot of the time she falls asleep after she eats. I just don't know what to do, I just want this gone and its taking forever is there anyways to get rid of it within a couple days rather than 2-3 weeks?
Any advice?  thanks:)
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
4484425 tn?1384228334
You can give it her an hour after she eats if she'll take it better. They just want there to be an hour or two between taking it and eating again. Are you breastfeeding? If you are you should be treating your nipples too. If she takes a pacifier make sure ou are washing them daily along with anything she may be putting in her mouth.
Helpful - 0
Yes I've also been treating myself and washing her pacifiers, it just feels like its taken forever. I heard about Gelitin violet? Not sure if it can be used or if the thrush had to be really bad where their in pain? I heard it gets rid of it within a couple days?
Helpful - 0
4484425 tn?1384228334
It can get to the point where it hurts and them baby will start to eat less because of it. I have no experience with that med. Id get back into the doctor and she what they say. If you are doing all that it should of gone away by now.
Helpful - 0
973741 tn?1342342773
I think tomorrow gave you good advice to still giver her the medication even if an hour after feeding.  What about right before??  

Be careful with things you just buy in a health food store.  Make sure you run it by your doctor and get dosages.  The things about 'natural' things is that you are taking them like a drug.  Therefore, they might have side effects like a drug and dosing still needs to be considered whether natural or not.  So, have a doctor help you with anything natural you do.  

good luck
Helpful - 0
Ok, thanks for the advice girl:)
Helpful - 0
4589197 tn?1375223396
Run gentian violet by your pediatrician and get the ok first. My son and I just got over thrush, it is no fun at all. His ped suggested gentian violet, I bought the 1% and diluted it with sterile water to 0.5% and put it on my nipples before he nursed at night for 3 nights and felt relief after the second night.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.