ALCOHOL & NURSING

I had roughly six glasses of beer. My wonderful baby angel, who will be 11 months old on Friday, still nurses pretty heavily and I am DESPERATE to find out exactly when I can nurse him again!!!! He usually sleeps through the night but woke up screaming to nurse this morning and I couldn't... :'(

I weigh 168 pounds, about average height (5 feet 8 inches)
and these drinks were consumed before 2 AM this morning. It's 9 AM now. I haven't slept because I've been so worried...

Help????????? Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I see that you have completely avoided answering the question so that you can trumpet your own opinions. You write as if you are a very educated person yet the content shows differently. There are articles for every side of the argument, most of which are far from peer-reviewed clinical journal article, which really are the only reliable bases for information in a world full of opinionated strongarms. Alcohol will metabolize out of your bloodstream if you'd like to have some cocktails. Mothering is probably the most selfless endeavor one can undertake and there is nothing wrong with taking some time to let loose on occasion so long as the baby is safe. Have a trusted sitter care for him/her if you want to be a little more than buzzed. Otherwise, evidence shows that after one standard drink, there isn't any harm in breastfeeding (it takes most mothers so long to do things that it'll likely be an entire hour before you finish that drink anyway! :-) ). For each drink within short spacing, allow a good 2 hours. Do your homework instead of trying to find real information on a forum where your subject to any Joe's opinion and crusade. Honestly if you are as concerned as you seem to be about this matter, you are a good mom and little chance of hurting your baby. It's ok to have some adult fun and I hope your research allows you to plan for a stress-free good time for both you and your baby!
Helpful - 0
Good to see it all worked out in the end. :)
Helpful - 0
You're such a good mama. :)

If you do "fall" into temptation during a special occasion, remember that your milk will not be permanently "tainted" and you can continue breastfeeding again. Drinking occasionally isn't a reason to quit nursing.

And about the bottle, have you tried offering a cup of breastmilk? This can be done at any age. (Google "spoon/cup feeding")

Sounds like a plan sister! :)  
Helpful - 0
Also, I will not be drinking again until I am done nursing! AMEN. :)
Helpful - 0
I would have pumped some out for him in a heartbeat! However, my baby boy refuses a bottle, pacifier, etc. He doesn't like anything out of a sippy cup/straw cup except water. Also, he is highly allergic to milk/milk proteins. I have always had a high tolerance and I was just buzzing after the 6. Maybe its the German in me?...*poor attempt at humor* Anyway, I will not drink again while I am nursing and I made entirely sure it was out of my system. I did hours of research to ensure that I would not be breastfeeding my son under the influence. I have not had any alcohol prior to this night whilst pregnant or nursing. Also, I have been trying to break my son of nursing at night, as we are also trying to completely break him of cosleeping as well.

I will never advocate "drinking" while nursing to help increase production and that is not what I was trying to do. I will never forgive myself for this, though I do pride myself on making sure I did all the research I could to rectify the situation. I love my son, far more than my own, and I was just trying to something for myself for the first time in 2 years. However, simplistic and instant gratification isn't worth it in the long run.

I appreciate all the understanding and helpful advice. You women are absolutely amazing and I appreciate your time. <3
Helpful - 0
Alcohol leaves your system at the rate of 1 drink per hour, 1 beer, wine or shot so if you drink your last beer at 1am by 7am you are legally sober. This is an approximation obviously but what I go by when nursing.

Yes some LC's still recommend a beer to boost supply, it is the brewery yeast that seems to do it which is also in "lactation cookies". Don't let anyone make you feel guilty forgoing out and having a good time. You are a great mama, keep up the awesome nursing :D
Helpful - 0
You can buy test strips at wal Mart, so each time you pump it will tell you if there is alcohol in the milk...so keep our trash will be made easy...Very affordable!
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
:( Poor doctors... I wish they were trained in breastfeeding. They have such a wide scope, it's hard for them to keep up. Although they are well meaning, they may not always be right. I'm trying now to get a few doctors on our task force. It would be great if we could get them all certified in lactation (although unrealistic)... or simply give them resources to make referrals.
Helpful - 0
my gyn's o ffice told me to try wheat beer when my supply dropped.

just putting that out there!
Helpful - 0
wow... thanks for sharing your example. Of course, all of us metabolize differently, but your experience certainly shows how long alcohol can remain detectable.
Helpful - 0
I drank at a christmas probably probably 5-6 drinks but i had enough milk pumped for the night and the next day to b esafe.. i also had alcohol test strips.. Just for your information, I had my last drink around 12am and I was till testing positive at 10am.. but was testing negative by 2pmish.. So it can take quite a while
Helpful - 0
Alcohol is not a contraindication to breastfeeding, BUT I certainly WOULD NOT advice that a mother drink it. Especially for the purpose of increasing her milk supply, as this will most certainly decrease supply by dehydration before increasing it w/ brewers yeast which there are no studies that prove help w/ supply either.

If you have or choose you are going to drink alcohol, DON'T stop breastfeeding altogether... DO talk to your doctor or LC (As AndiJ78 said) about safe ways to do it. (Even if a mother doesn't have a perfect diet or lifestyle, her milk will be optimal to formula, but we should always consider our little life and try to make our milk as suitable for our precious baby as much as we can handle)

Personally, I don't even drink milk since my son has a milk protien allergy. I have a very restricted diet, but that's what I can handle personally w/ my lifestyle. Sometimes I feel like I need a break, and my idea of a break is going on a shopping spree. That's not the most healthy and wise thing I can do but everyone has their "faults", don't let them be barriers to breastfeeding. And as AnjiJ78 is suggesting, we must not be a danger to ourselves and our babies which goes above all. :)

Sorry this has been so confusing. There are ways to do things safer, but don't drink to increase supply, and don't breastfeed WHILE drinking (which is most certainly not what you did). Find out from your doctor about how long the alcohol is in your system w/ your BMI, age, and then you will truly know how long it takes for the alcohol to metabolize so that you can continue to nurse safely. :)
Helpful - 0
As I am currently in school studying child death. Alcohol.bb is harmful to children nursing. We cannot use remedies that were used many years ago even if it was a family tradition. As you shouldn't use a wash cloth for teething because some children have  asphyxiated from it. My mentor has, privileges to a lot of coroners reports and these are facts.
Helpful - 0
Should I bleach the washcloth before putting it in my baby's mouth?  And whose knuckle should I use?
Helpful - 0
I am sure I am going to regret even bothering to answer this, but in the off chance someone Googles and comes up with this as a result...No, I do not advocate the whiskey on the gums. For a nursing mom, even Ambesol can be difficult to use as it can interfere the latch at times, causing frustration on top of the teething pain.

I used to recommend teething tablets by Hyland, but I am not sure if they have improved their quality control as a year or so ago the FDA discovered much higher amounts of belladonna than they had said it contained. They had infants developing neurological problems, though short term, but it is still a concern.

Cold washcloth or a clean knuckle are still my best suggestions.
Helpful - 0
Ok - well now I will argue with you on that one.....when my husband and I are driving around in the RV with the kids - I do text sometimes while driving - and we've never had a wreck one.....I have learned though that I can't play Angry Birds...that's too hard to do
Helpful - 0
I also think to say "my family drank and all kids are ok" is about as intelligent as saying "i text while driving and ive never had an accident".
Helpful - 0
Does that also mean it's not ok to rub brandy on a child's gums when they are teething?  I've heard it from my grandmother and mother - of course, they also told me that if I get a wart, I should cut a potato in half, rub it on the wart and then bury the potato at a crossroad under the full moon light....
Helpful - 0
thanks andij for reminding everyone. for the op, mistakes aes made and im sure you will make the right choice next time.
Helpful - 0
I believe you have implied multiple times that drinking Guiness increases milk supply. Applying semantics to this serious situation does not absolve you from responsibility for comments you have made.

Despite the warnings displayed throughout MedHelp advising new people from using us in place of providers, people still come here seeking the advice and wisdom of members.We carry a great responsibility to provide SAFE and current information to those people. I do not believe this to be censorship if it means we are eliminating the dangerous advice to ensure that members can avoid risking their health or the health of their nursing infant.

So again, I beg of you to stop advising, be it directly or indirectly, the use of alcohol-containing products to increase milk supply.
Helpful - 0
btw I in no way suggest doing that!
Helpful - 0
if I said snorting coke could help with a new moms lack of energy, that would also be a valid point?
Helpful - 0
I think someone lost their last marble.....
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community