Baby bowel movement

I took my baby to her doc because she poops, literally, after every feed. I pump my breast milk and also supplement formula. He told me its because of the breast milk that she poops often. But I also told him its watery, he said that's fine. Is it normal? I would like to believe its normal but it's too much having to change her diaper after every feed.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It is normal. Newborns need anything from 8-12 diaper changes a day.
Helpful - 0
Both my daughters would poop immediately with a feed. It was watery and what is described as mustard seedy.  It's normal.  After a few weeks it will calm down and breastfed babies often poop even less than formula fed babies because they digest the breastmilk more efficiently.
Helpful - 0
Thanks, I just did not want to accept it as normal. I hope it stops soon! She is getting a diaper rash if I dont use diaper rash cream, even though I don't use baby wipes. Just tissue and water.
Helpful - 0
It's a good thing to have the diapers. It means your baby is getting enough. :) That's good news sister.

What color are they?

Breastmilk is a natural laxitive and that's good since it's easier on their little tummies. (breastmilk babies cry less)

Why are you supplementing?
Helpful - 0
(also exclusive breastmilk babies get diaper rash less often) It may be the formula irritating her bottom.
Helpful - 0
The colors are green and seedy like.
My goal was to only breast feed. But I was in my moms house and my baby started crying uncontrollably. My mom who told me that there is no way my baby will get full with just my milk. And after giving her the bottle she was quite and my wonderful hubby said to do both.

I would love to start to exclusively bf but I need to get my supply up before I do that. And right now I am stuck. I just don't know how. I try pumping but it is hard to do. Even my baby's doc asked why I am supplementing. It was a long story to explain.
Helpful - 0
I mean it is yellowish green.
Helpful - 0
The "yellowish" in the green would imply the breastmilk and the seedy appearance. That's a good sign that you're giving your baby mostly breastmilk. The greenish appearance may be from the formula.

You sound like you feel confused which is understandable since you're getting many mixed messages.

We are here to help you reach your goal, and if that's to exclusively breastfeed, we can help.

You're right. Pumping is hard. Let's "trick" your body into making more.

Instead of spending too much time at the pump. Let's grab the pump while you're supplementing. Pump 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off, and then 5 minutes on. (This will have tricked your body into 2 feedings in only 15 minutes!) Do this even if you don't get anything. This will "demand" that your body produces more. Also, you may create a conditioned response to trick your body into feeding if you do breast massage, nipple stimulation, and nipple stretching before you use the pump to create oxytocin (since you already get prolactin via milk removal)

I hope this helps sister. Lean on us when you need to vent or need help. X
Helpful - 0
Thank you mature enough. I will definitely give it a try!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community