Breastfeeding Community

Best contraceptive while breastfeeding

I just had my son three weeks ago, saw my OB last week, and he said on my next appointment in four weeks we would discuss birth control. I am currently breastfeeding, and plan to continue doing it until he's at least 6 months old, or maybe even till he's a year. I've done some research on the different types of birth control, and have come down to two, the copper IUD, or the arm implant. As far as I've read, neither should affect my breastfeeding, but I still can't help but to feel concerned, plus both of these methods have risks of it not being placed right, or moving from its position. I'm just wondering, which do you guys think is better, and if you have, or have had, either one, what has been your experience with them? Also, if you have any opinions on other forms of contraceptives that have worked for you while breastfeeding, I'd be more than glad to hear about em. Please and thank you in advanced.
If I were to pick between the two I'd pick the copper iud because it does not contain hormones. The progestine from the implanion is supposed to have no affect on your milk production and for most it doesn't but I have heard women say their milk supply dropped after getting it. Also my friend has the implanion and it kinda creeps me out that you can feel it in her arm. For birth control while breastfeeding I prefer the depo shot. It contains the same hormone as the implanion and has worked well for me but I feel this time around it has increased my appetite. The increased appetite is a common side effect of depo but I didn't experience it the other two times I was on it.
I use a low does progesterone pill. My dr recommended it over the shot. It's called ortho micronor tablet. I have no problems with my milk suppy.  I have 1400 ounces in the freezer.
The mini pill didn't work for. I had my period every other week while on it. After being in it that when I switched to depo.
I opted not to use birth control while breast feeding b/c I didn't want to take hormones…  I also got pregnant while breast feeding!  Try something and see how you like it, nothing is set in stone.
I had the paragard iud (the copper iud) for 3 years And had to get  it taken out. It gave me extremely heavy periods and cramping sometimes so severe i ended up in the ER. As soon as i had it taken out i was fine again. I just had my second baby 3 weeks ago and we are just going to use non latex condoms I'm allergic to latex). I would not go through 3 years of pain and bleeding like that again. You may be different though. My mom had it and never had issues and other people i know were ok.
Ugh I love that when on my phone it decides to change or remove words for me. Really what it comes down to is trial and error. What works for others may not work for you and what didn't work for other may work for you. No matter what form you choose it's not set in stone. If ones not right for you you can always try a different method.
My doctor told me that the iud was not a good option while breastfeeding, because the hormones that are responsible for breastfeeding also are affecting the size and tone of the uterus. He said there is more of a risk of problems with iud's durring breastfeeding because of that.
I read a book called taking cigarette of your fertility. I read the section on how to get pregnant but there is also a section on how not to get pregnant. Maybe look into reading that before you go back to the dr. But basically you just don't have sex your fertile week and then once you have ovulated you can have sex. You do have to track your temperature so you know when you ovulated but it takes a few seconds each morning and that's it. I never started birth control after having my daughter because we wanted another baby asap and I didn't even get my period back until she was 9 months. Then got pregnant again when she was 13 months.