A
A
A
Close
Breastfeeding Community
1.66k Members
689528 tn?1364139441

Blocked duct

I just noticed this morning that I have a nice sore hard lump on my left breast...well closer to my armpit. I think I remember this with baby #1. Does this sound like a blocked duct? I've been massaging it since I've noticed it and I will massage it as I'm feeding her.
I feed her laying down at night so I hope that's not why. This is also my breast that has a crazy super fast let down so I'm wondering if she just isn't emptying my breast enough.
Any other ways to care for it?
7 Responses
1346146 tn?1299364097
I've noticed of I feed laying down I get them too.  Apply warm compresses and nurse or pump from that side often.  Good luck.
I just had one recently also but right side near the arm pit. I think mine was cause my bra was too tight as my milk was coming in. So besides changing bras, I massaged it when in the shower while also trying to self express. Then i always offered that side 1st then pumped the other side if needed and i also fed baby in the football position. I noticed the pain went down after the 1st day and cleared up after 3days.
689528 tn?1364139441
Thanks ladies. I fed her from that side and it immediately softened up but it's been a couple days and the area is still tender. Not hard or blocked (that I know of) but bruised feeling when I press on it. I'm going to feed her sitting up if I have to feed on that side at night I think.
689528 tn?1364139441
Ok so I'm still getting a bit of a lump and sometimes a burning feeling in that side? It's not constant but comes and goes.
127529 tn?1331844380
If you can position your baby so baby's nose points at the sore spot. This often helps. A warm flannel on the area before nursing/pumping can help too. If its really sore ibuprofen can help with inflammation and is safe whilst nursing. Be careful to watch your temperature. If yOu start to get a low grade fever with continued soreness you may need to see your doc for antibiotics so this doesn't develop into painful mastitis.
Best of luck
689528 tn?1364139441
Thank you...I'm going to apply heat to it on her next feed. It's not fun to deal with. I've had a blocked duct before but not to this extent. I didn't know it could hurt like this without having even a lump there. It's like an achey burning feeling :(
Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365196113
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.