A
A
A
Close
Breastfeeding Community
1.66k Members
1566213 tn?1331004562

Breast feeding and work

Sadly I return back to work on Monday and this means that my lil' one will now be attending daycare. I have been breast feeding since the day he was born and only have given him formula when it seems as though he didn't get enough (no more than 4 oz a day). Now that I'm going back to work I want to continue breast feeding, but am nervous on how to go about making sure to get enough. I teach and will only be able to pump once, maybe twice during the day. How have you ladies managed to keep on breast feeding while going back to work? I need some advice.
2 Responses
231441 tn?1333896366
Hi,

It is possible.  I would breastfeed last thing before I left home, pump at work (lunch time), then breastfeed first thing as soon as I got home (and pump after breastfeeding).  Then I feed on demand while I am home.  If I was engorged while at work (other than lunch time) I would just manually express an oz or so while I was in the rest room, which only took a couple of minutes so wasn't really disruptive.  I kep a small glass bottle for this purpose with me.  And these few oz here and there really added up in terms of keeping my daughter drinking breastmilk.  I usually got enough milk during the day and at the evening pumping for my daughter to drink the next day.  I only ever had 3 days or so of milk in the freezer.

Worst case you can continue to breastfeed directly at home and your baby.  If you set up a routine your body should also adjust to this.

Remember to keep drinking enough, even while you're working.

Best wishes.
171768 tn?1324233699
Hi!
It is possible to maintain supply. I see your due date was recent, so I am assuming your little one is still young. This is important information only because your supply is still being established.

Sally's recommendation of an extra expression is a good one. You will probably feel very uncomfortable and full, especially while your body adjusts to the new schedule. If you are not comfortable with manual expression, I very highly recommend the Medela Harmony. It is a very small and effective manual pump that I would keep in my purse with a small bottle and cap. Anytime I was out and about and needed a quick feed, or when I didn't have time for a full pump, I was able to get a lot out in a very short time.
Make sure you use a good hospital grade pump on your break and do a full pump. Empty as much as you can. While you pump, do compressions to get the milk flowing. If you haven't gone hands-free, now is the time to do it. That way you can do a little work or even eat your lunch while you pump.

When I was at work, I loved to use the Playtex Fridge to Go. It's an insulted bag that has the ice packs built in to the sides so I just put it in the freezer the night before and grabbed it as I left for work. That was the milk was kept cool without being put into the community fridge. If you needed to or chose to squeeze in a quick pump with the manual, you could take that to the closet/office/bathroom with you and noone would know what you were transporting.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365196113
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.