Aa
A
A
A
Close
Breastfeeding Community
1.66k Members

Breast pump tubing

How do you clean breast pump tubing? My lactation consultant said to put a little alcohol in them, shake it out, and let air dry. I've read not to wash and sanitize because it makes them cloudy. For some reason they keep getting condensation in them. I'm making sure the milk is no where near the valves. Any suggestions on that?
7 Responses
3062924 tn?1350414109
I run hot water thought mine
4484425 tn?1384228334
I'd wash it in warm soapy water and then use one of those sanitizing bags you put in the microwave.
127529 tn?1331840780
I boiled mine and then hung to dry. Mine was an ameda collection kits and tubing and collection kits were to be boiled to sterilize...microwave sterilizers were not recommended.
4484425 tn?1384228334
That's funny because my Medela microwave sanitization bag has directions on it for sanitizing pump tubing.
127529 tn?1331840780
Ameda (the one I had) and Medela are made by different companies maybe that is why they have different recommendations. I guess the original poster is better off sending an email to the manufacturer to see what they advise.

4484425 tn?1384228334
I agree its best to go by what the manufacturer recommends for cleaning.  I own both a Medela and Ameda pump and know they are from different companies. My Ameda pump instruction manual says its not necessary to wash tubing.
I have a Medela PISA. I had just been told not to wash or sanitize them if it can be avoider because it makes them cloudy. Did yours gets cloudy with washing or sanitizing? I did do the rubbing alcohol, but it takes forever to air dry.
Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.