Breastfeeding Community

Breastfed baby hates formula.

My son's pediatrician suggested I give my son an ounce of formula with every time he nurses to help him gain more weight. He was born 5 weeks early and is now 2 weeks and 3 days old. Whenever I try to give him the formula he will not drink it. He will push the bottle out of his mouth and make horrible faces when it gets in his mouth. Suggestions?
Try a different formula?
Is he not gaining enough weight that they're concerned about it? I think my first choice would be to pump after he has nursed and give him that pumped milk. We did this with all 3 of our babies - gave them the milk via syringe because we didn't want to deal with nipple confusion. You could also use a supplemental nurser system to simultaneously feed a little formula while you're nursing. Unless there are specific health/weight concerns, I wouldn't be eager to supplement with formula after every feed. Your hospital's lactation consultant might be able to assist.