Breastfeeding Community

Breastfeeding, Yeast, Advice Please

Ladies,

I REALLY need some advice.  

My baby will be 6 weeks old tomorrow.  I am breastfeeding exclusively.

I am having shooting pains in and aching, burning breasts.  My nipples are also sore and red. I Saw Obe today (not my regular, she's out, but her resident) and asked if these painful breasts could be due to yeast infection (possibility as advised by on-line lactation consultant). She said no and advised me to use hot compress and breast cream.  I strongly disagree that this pain is due to engorgement / breastfeeding trauma at this stage (and after 6 weeks).

Breast milk stored in fridge overnight (this is expressed and immediately refrigerated) will have bubbles coming out and will separate into layers.  Milk is not "off" or "sour" - I tasted it.  

I have history of antibiotics during the pregnancy and I had gestational diabetes - blood sugar probably ok now.  Oh, I do have  yeast infection down there that she agreed to treat with canesten pessaries.  I also have sore tongue/mouth - again no obvious white spots, and am having large, soft and foul No. 2s (sorry for being graphic) with stomach cramping / pains (feels a bit like menstrual cramping).

Baby now has heaps of gas and diarrhoea though she doesn't  have obviously white patches in  her mouth.  

So question - could all this be due to systemic yeast infection?

What do I do?  Fill in Dr says it can't be yeast because my nipples are only red,  not cracked and with white curd discharge (though there is curd like particles to be seen in the breast milk that I exress) and refuses to treat!  I don't know when my usual Obe is back. At least she knows my history and I think she might be more able to help.  I would try to see her if things get worse.

I can buy meds here OTC for nearly anything (in Phils) - but I need to know what is suitable and safe and effective.  I know both me and baby need treatment.  I walked out of the Dr clinic and had a good cry in my car.  I am so uncomfortable and concerned about this and was hopeful there would be assistance.  But there is none. So I am asking you ladies for advice.

I think this will need both pharmaceutical and natural (diet etc) approach.

AND I am very concerned about effect of yeast infection on baby's immune system (associated with allergy problems - and we h ave very strong family history of allergies / food problems)...
My breast milk seperates very quickly in the fridge or on the counter - don't worry about that.  That's normal.  As far as a yeast infection goes - I can't say anything about that. I have an 8 mo old and we've never had (knock on wood) a yeast issue. Make sure to change your bra pads often and if your nipples are sore - use lanolin.  Good luck.