Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Breastfeeding a preemie.

Baby isnt here yet. Hopefully she wont be here for 3 weeks when im 34 wks. But either way shes gonna be premature. Will she be able to breast feed? Or will I have to pump into a bottle or will they have to put my milk through a tube & feed baby? Theyre taking me off of all the IV meds tomorrow & are gonna give it to me in pills so my chance of going into labor soon will be higher then now. I got my steroid shots to develop her lungs & shes around 4 lbs. Im still terrified of having her this early but hoping for the best.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The only thing about having a preemie is that when your baby is born your milk may not come in right away since your body isn't ready as in full term. If it doesn't I would look into a milk bank and see about donor milk since br east milk is what's going to best for baby right now.
Helpful - 0
287071 tn?1365192513
Make sure to communicate your wishes to nurse to the hospital staff and your doctors before you go into labor and while you're there.  This way - if the baby is not able to nurse (or try to nurse depending on how premature the baby is) you should be able to pump to start your supply going. There are things they can do at the hospital to help/support you and your wishes/desires to nurse.  Best of luck with things!
Helpful - 0
I don't have any experience with preemies bit I think it would depend on the baby and his or her condition. They will probably encourage you to pump if  your baby goes to the nicu. Good luck hun. I don't know if you're religious or not but I will pray for you and your little one.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.