Can I still breastfeed after breast surgery?

Hi, about a year ago, I had a breast augmentation with a lift. I am pregnant now and my dr said I probably wont be able to breastfeed. I was really hoping that I would be able to. Does anyone out there whos had breast surgery have any advice on breastfeeding??
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Our understanding of breast physiology has changed in the last few years. We used to think that there were storage ducts - however this no isnt true. If your surgeon used old biolgy to place the implant it might not bepossible, but if he has used new biology it may still be ok.

All your breast making ducts and cells are at the front of your breast just behind your nipple. Personlay i would try feeding your baby, but make sure you have support - proper support from a midwife. you may find that a different position may help.

Helpful - 0
I had an augmentation in June and just found out I am pregnant with baby #5. my surgeon said as long as the nipple wasn't moved and the implant was put under the muscle it should be just fine. I guess I will see for sure in august : ) good luck
Helpful - 0
To answer your question right, it depends if you had implants or injections. (Injections are illegal now) but if you got the implants they should not mess with the milk ducts enough for you to produce enough milk. Start by exclusively breastfeeding and if your baby is rapidly losing weight then you will have to supplement, but do not skip out on expressing milk while your child takes formula from a bottle or your breast milk will only diminish more. You need to pump every time your baby is taking formula from a bottle, this will increase your demand for breast milk, and maybe you will be able to produce enough eventually to exclusively breastfeed. (assuming that you wouldn’t be able to in the first place) I hope this helps sister. Good luck.
Helpful - 0
I had a breast augmentation back in 2000 and have had three girls now, one in 2006, 2008, & recently three weeks ago. Each time I breastfed with no problems! My surgeon told me back when I got them that it would not mess with my choice of breastfeeding nor harm the baby. I did however have problems with how much milk came in the first two times, but this time my milk is coming in great! I would just ask your surgeon to see what he/she says, but I think its ok;) Good luck!
Helpful - 0
It depends as previously stated. I have 3 friends who all had various experiences. One friend had implants and her milk just never came in, another friend never had any surgery and her milk never came in and the last friend had 2 surgeries, one lift and one augmentation and she is pumping exclusively and has been doing so for 7 wks thus far. So it really just depends and you wont know until the baby comes what will happen. I would plan to try to breast feed, since that is what you want, and if it doesn't work then you tried and there are other options. Sorry this is so vague but I hope it helps.
Helpful - 0
One of my cousins had an augmentation and was able to breastfeed.  I believe she had the augmentation about 10 years before becoming pregnant so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.  
Super was right about the structure having a lot to do with it.  I believe with most augmentations the implant is placed under the muscle and doesn't disturb the breast tissue or nipple at all.  
I would recommend contacting La Leche League or just googling them.  I'm guessing this is a pretty common question so it should be listed in a FAQ or Q and A somewhere.  I hope you are able to breastfeed if that's what you choose to do.
Helpful - 0

can you ask your surgeon about this?  I imagine it depends how it was done and what was cut/ moved.

If the areola/nipple were not moved and are still in their original place, it may be possible.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community