Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

DAILY CLOGGED DUCTS

I am exclusively pumping and it has been four months that I have been doing this.  I have read all the prevention methods and treatment methods for clogged ducts, but nothing works except for harshly massaging my breast.  Frankly, I wouldn't even call it "massaging" but more "squeezing and the life out of my breast." The clogs always happen in various areas.  I have tried EVERYTHING to prevent it!  I have bought over 17 different bras.  But, with no exaggeration, I have a clogged duct every other day if not every day.  I am at my wit's end because I spend about 2 to 3 hours trying to relieve the the clogged ducts whenever it happens.  I currently have a clogged duct and the lump is about the size of my fist (I usually get about 16 oz every time I pump both my breast).  It is extremely painful and red and is currently going on 48 hours.  I fear mastitis.  Painkillers are not giving me any relief.  But, I don't have a fever.  Should I be worried?  If it doesn't come out within 3 days but don't have a fever, should I still see a doctor?  I am tired of everyone telling me to use a hot compress and take hot showers because they don't work.  And everyone that I talked to doesn't have the frequent clogs that I do.  Is this not normal?  Does my diet have any affect on my clogs?  I probably sound hysterical, but I am driving myself CRAZY trying to not give up on breastfeeding everyday.  
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
171768 tn?1324230099
do you take lecithin? I have read that helps prevent clogs. ***********************/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin.html
kellymom also said, "B-complex, evening primrose oil and thyme have also been recommended for treating recurrent plugged ducts."

i did some research and found other suggestions.
~cut down on saturated fats in your diet
~pumping more often

My additional thoughts-
~try a different kind of horn/shield. yours may be too small, preventing proper drainage? i personally LOVE the pumpin pals angled shield (i should be conpensated for all the praise i give them! lol!)
~different pump? or try different speeds when you pump

for getting those nasty clogs out- i found that my manual pumps got them out quickly and easily. i discovered this when i EP'ed with my first baby. after a previous episode of mastitis, i panicked when i found another clog. My electric pump wasn't an option at the moment and i wanted to get it out ASAP. all i had on hand was the cheap manual that came free along with my pump in style. it looks like a bike pump (also got one in the accessory kit from the hospital). In less than a minute, it su.cked the clog out. i think it's because you can control the suction and do long hard pulls. Last time I EP'ed, i got clogs every few weeks. This time around I haven't had one (knock on wood- almost 4 months in). I wonder if it's because I use my manual 1/2 the time. This time I use the Harmony, but it also has a much different suction than the pump in style. It's much harsher than the PISA so i wouldn't use a manual all the time, but it can't hurt to try to use it to get the clog out.
Helpful - 0
171768 tn?1324230099
grr... you can search kelly mom and lecithin for that very important and helpful medical info.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.