For those who are undecided about breastfeeding

I am a new first time mom. I wanted to breastfeed for many reasons, the bonding, the health benefits for both baby and mom, the cost savings and simply because to me it felt like the right thing to do.

I can say after 10 days of having our wonderful son that I will breastfeed him until he is done with it. Feeling him nurse and knowing that with every one of his swallows my body is providing him with nourishment and love, fills me with a feeling of accomplishment and motherhood.

The day my milk came in I thought I was going to die, the pain was intense and I couldn't even think straight. But instinct took over and I cared for myself in order to care for my baby.

He is starting to look around now and notice his immediate surroundings. Last night he looked into my eyes during our late night feeding and my heart melted more than I thought possible. I carried him for 40 weeks and supplied him with the best I could and it makes me proud to have the ability to carry on supplying him with what his little body needs.

So my advice to all mothers considering this act and labor of love is to simply try it and don't give up if it isn't easy at first, nothing has made me fel like more of a mother than this experience.
That is a beautiful statement. I don't think I could have said it better ;-)

Congratulations on your new little one. Enjoy this time, before you know it he will be a big boy!
Awww that is sweet, I had already decided to b/f but if I hadn't this sure would have changed my mind!! Thanks
This post is making me all teary-eyed.  Breast feeding, for those that are able, is a truly wonderful thing.
I consider myself fortunate to be able to breast feed and don't envion stopping anytime soon.  My son is about 8 1/2 months and we're still going strong!
i have pretty much decided to b/f (due in about 82-84 days) am scared out of my mind due to a previous bad nursing experience... but am determined to give it a really good try and hopefully be able to nurse for at least 3-6 months if not longer. with my past experience i had a hard time getting baby to latch on, and therefore he wasnt nursing right, and my milk wasnt coming in the way it should have. so i am really not sure if this time will be differant but i truly hope so.  i dreamt last night that i had to start pumping and within 3 minutes had pumped 3 full bottles...lol...i know that is probably not possible but it gives me hope that i will be successful with this.

that is a very beautiful sentiment/statement and i am so happy that things are going well for your little boy. it is true...it isnt long and they grow into independant children... i wish they would stay tiny a little longer...lol
I had planned on breastfeeding my daughter, even took a class at the hospital but between her painful latch (even with LC help) and then her jaundice making it nearly impossible to keep her awake durring feedings I had to resort to pumping and giving her my breast milk from a bottle.  I was a little disapointed that things havent quite worked out the way I planed, but thank god for my medela pump in style shes going on three months ans with the exception of a few supplemental feedings here and there I have been able to keep giving her breastmilk and plan to do so as long as my supply allows
Just an update. It has now been 7 weeks and we are still breastfeedin' fools. He will have the ocassional bottle of pumped milk but other than that my boy is a b**b baby!

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community