Gentian violet?

Baby and I have been dealing with thrush for 3 + weeks now. I use nystatin in her mouth. I alternate between nystatin crean and anti-fungal cream on me. They don't seem to be working. I am thinking about gentian violet. what i read said for me to put it on prior to nursing once a day x 3 days.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
We are all cheering you on sister! You can get through this! Thrust/breast yeast is a common problem that can be solved. We will be here for any support. :)
Helpful - 0
PLEASE DON"T STOP BREASTFEEDING!  That is certainly NOT the answer.  I dealt with breast yeast for about 3 weeks too and it was painful!  My son never showed signs of thrush, though.  We tried the nystatin, diflucan and the triple nipple cream...none of it worked.  Finally went to gentian violet and it worked in 3 days.  Talk to a lacation consultant, that's who recommended it to me.  

In the mean time, wash you bras and anything else that comes in contact with your breasts or your baby's mouth (bibs, burp cloths) in HOT water with vinegar (and bleach if you have it).  If you can, dry them outside in the sunlight.  Sun kills yeast.  Get some anti fungal cream (triple nipple prescription from a compounded pharmacy) and use it after ever feeding.  Boil pacifiers and nipples daily.  Once thrush is gone, replace with new ones.

Whatever you do ... keep breastfeeding!  It is the best medicine for your baby.  Try this - it worked for me!
Helpful - 0
The violet is great stuff. Just know it stains everything ;)  I know many women who have used it with great outcome. I would think about a new ped don't stop nursing because of this. That's crazy. Shame on your dr.

Also probiotics for both you and baby are tremendously helpful. Many who have reoccurring thrush take probiotics daily the rest of the time they BF you can also give it to baby. It will help boost immunity too which is perfect for this time of year
Helpful - 0
seriously? You may want to consider a new pediatrician.

I did a search and found a very thorough discussion on the Ask Dr. Sears website about thrush. If this link doesn't work, you can google it.
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/thrush

sorry I don't have more personal input for you.

If you are pumping, make sure that you sanitize all parts thoroughly. Also sanitize binkies, nipples, etc and be careful about changing nursing pads so you don't keep passing the infection back and forth.
Helpful - 0
thanks everyone. i have talked to my dr...her solution was to stop breastfeeding. baby is already on probiotics and i think she is too young for yogurt. still waiting for the pediatrician to call back about the gentian violet
Helpful - 0
I'll bet a little yoghurt (live organisms and no sweeteners or fruit) in the baby's mouth will help that thrush. And that would be a lot more healthful than the creams. In the Middle East women who develop vaginal candida treat it with yoghurt.
Helpful - 0
No sugar diet is the best solution and taking acidophilus...you can also get infant acidophilus(probiotic) for her mouth.
Helpful - 0
If the creams are not working you may need oral meds.  I needed an extended course of that before things finally cleared up.  It is called Diflucan.  It is expensive, but works, and is safe for breastfeeding.
Helpful - 0
My guess is that you might have systemic Candida albicans. That is fungal, and causes thrush. Try not eating any sugar, sugary drinks, bread, cake, and other stuff like that. Candida thrives on it. Try to stick to meat and vegetables as much as possible, at least in the short term. If my guess is right you will get relief soon. The creams you are using treat the symptoms, not the cause, so the thrush keeps coming back.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community