Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Gentian violet?

Baby and I have been dealing with thrush for 3 + weeks now. I use nystatin in her mouth. I alternate between nystatin crean and anti-fungal cream on me. They don't seem to be working. I am thinking about gentian violet. what i read said for me to put it on prior to nursing once a day x 3 days.
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
179530 tn?1368936603
We are all cheering you on sister! You can get through this! Thrust/breast yeast is a common problem that can be solved. We will be here for any support. :)
Helpful - 0
PLEASE DON"T STOP BREASTFEEDING!  That is certainly NOT the answer.  I dealt with breast yeast for about 3 weeks too and it was painful!  My son never showed signs of thrush, though.  We tried the nystatin, diflucan and the triple nipple cream...none of it worked.  Finally went to gentian violet and it worked in 3 days.  Talk to a lacation consultant, that's who recommended it to me.  

In the mean time, wash you bras and anything else that comes in contact with your breasts or your baby's mouth (bibs, burp cloths) in HOT water with vinegar (and bleach if you have it).  If you can, dry them outside in the sunlight.  Sun kills yeast.  Get some anti fungal cream (triple nipple prescription from a compounded pharmacy) and use it after ever feeding.  Boil pacifiers and nipples daily.  Once thrush is gone, replace with new ones.

Whatever you do ... keep breastfeeding!  It is the best medicine for your baby.  Try this - it worked for me!
Helpful - 0
1330108 tn?1333677304
The violet is great stuff. Just know it stains everything ;)  I know many women who have used it with great outcome. I would think about a new ped don't stop nursing because of this. That's crazy. Shame on your dr.

Also probiotics for both you and baby are tremendously helpful. Many who have reoccurring thrush take probiotics daily the rest of the time they BF you can also give it to baby. It will help boost immunity too which is perfect for this time of year
Helpful - 0
171768 tn?1324230099
seriously? You may want to consider a new pediatrician.

I did a search and found a very thorough discussion on the Ask Dr. Sears website about thrush. If this link doesn't work, you can google it.
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/thrush

sorry I don't have more personal input for you.

If you are pumping, make sure that you sanitize all parts thoroughly. Also sanitize binkies, nipples, etc and be careful about changing nursing pads so you don't keep passing the infection back and forth.
Helpful - 0
thanks everyone. i have talked to my dr...her solution was to stop breastfeeding. baby is already on probiotics and i think she is too young for yogurt. still waiting for the pediatrician to call back about the gentian violet
Helpful - 0
757137 tn?1347196453
I'll bet a little yoghurt (live organisms and no sweeteners or fruit) in the baby's mouth will help that thrush. And that would be a lot more healthful than the creams. In the Middle East women who develop vaginal candida treat it with yoghurt.
Helpful - 0
971074 tn?1362759766
No sugar diet is the best solution and taking acidophilus...you can also get infant acidophilus(probiotic) for her mouth.
Helpful - 0
231441 tn?1333892766
If the creams are not working you may need oral meds.  I needed an extended course of that before things finally cleared up.  It is called Diflucan.  It is expensive, but works, and is safe for breastfeeding.
Helpful - 0
757137 tn?1347196453
My guess is that you might have systemic Candida albicans. That is fungal, and causes thrush. Try not eating any sugar, sugary drinks, bread, cake, and other stuff like that. Candida thrives on it. Try to stick to meat and vegetables as much as possible, at least in the short term. If my guess is right you will get relief soon. The creams you are using treat the symptoms, not the cause, so the thrush keeps coming back.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.