A
A
A
Close
Breastfeeding Community
1.66k Members
274158 tn?1276350787

Heating previously frozen milk

I freeze breastmilk for future use. I was reading when you defrost the bags, you can defrost in the fridge overnight or run it under warm tap water. Now if I defrost on the fridge, can I still warm it up with boiled water? When I heat up milk that has been in the fridge, (not previously frozen) I usually boil water in a pot then take it off the stove and let the container sit in it until warm. Can I heat defrosted milk the same way? Thanks! I couldn't find any info in my breastpump manual.
4 Responses
171768 tn?1324233699
yup. as long as you use it up within 24 hours of it defrosting.

a little hint that helped me a lot: i froze 6-8 oz bags thinking dd would take that much when i needed frozen, but she never did. it actually takes milk a very long time to defrost in the fridge, and i didn't want to defrost it all quickly in warm water and lose the extra ounces. a great way to defrost milk in the fridge quickly without warming it is to put it into a container of tap water in the fridge. because the tap water is cold, it doesn't actually warm milk- it just defrosts it really quickly- within an hour or two. i then gently squished the bag to mix the layers, and poured out and warmed what i needed, saving the rest in the fridge for the next freeze.
171867 tn?1271047748
fyi... when warming breast milk do not use overly hot water as they say this will kill off  all t he benefits of the milk ( the antibodies) warm it with warm  water but not boiling. I defrost mine in running warm water if I use the whole bay or defrost ini the fridge. They also say freeze only 2oz at at time they will defrost faster and waste less! but only t hing more bags, and they are expensive..lol I hope all this helps =) Good luck
171768 tn?1324233699
i agree- i only warmed milk with warm/hot tap water
274158 tn?1276350787
Thanks, I will just use the tap water. Thanks for clearing up all my confusion!
Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365196113
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.