Aa
A
A
A
Close
Breastfeeding Community
1.66k Members

Hey Ladies!!! ANYONE can help me with inverted nipple?

After I breastfed baby#2 one of my nipples inverted and since my husband didn't mind, I never thought to get it corrected...but now I'm pregnant with baby #3 and my doctor said there is a nipple shield with a pump what I can use to draw my nipple out but I cant use it until month 8 or so. Anyone else ever had this problem? What worked for you? And were you able to breastfeed just as well? Thanks!!!
7 Responses
Hoffman Technique- FOR INVERTED OR FLAT NIPPLES*
From about the 34th week of pregnancy do the following exercise 5 times on each side, once a day (in bath perhaps), and you should see a marked improvement in inverted or flat nipples by the time baby is born.
With your thumb and forefinger stretch gently,dragging outwards from the nipple. Do this 5 times working your way around the nipple and away from the areola. This exercise has the effect of loosening the corrective tissue that holds the nipples in.
Also try wearing breast shields for a few hrs every day is also effective in drawing out nipples during pregnancy. The shield is worn inside the bra, the shield exerts pressure on the areola and the nipple is drawn towards the hole making the nipple protrude. A newer device works as a suction pump action to draw the nipple out.
Thank you so much!!! I will give the manual stuff a try!!!
Both of my nipples are inverted.  I was able to breastfeed and pump without issue.  I also used nipple shields to help my daughter latch.  I have never tried the method mentioned above but I think I will!
Oh really? Good to know thank you!!!
My pleasure. Good luck and hope all goes well with your pregnancy*
I have to use a nipple shield bc my nipples are almost flat. It worked for a couple days but baby isn't having it anymore. I'm having to pump and bottle feed him.
Good luck, hope everything works out for you and baby!!
Thank you all so very much and congrats on your precious angels!!!
Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.