Breastfeeding Community

How to manage my Latch-On & Pummping at night???

Hi all mummies,

I am a first-time mother who gave birth to a healthy daughter on 18 Dec. Most of the time, I pump my milk out & get my helper to feed my bb. But her contract is ending in a few days' time & I will have to feed my bb at night all by myself. Right now, I am TOTALLY clueless about how to feed my bb at night. I will appreciate it if some mummies here can advise me. Thank you so much.

I am thinking of latching my bb onto my breast directly so that I do not have to wash & sterilize my Medela bottle & pump in the middle of the night . (It is way too troublesome!) And if she is satisfied & falls asleep, I will rest too.
And I am thinking the next time when she wakes up, I will latch her onto my other breast. But what if my other breast feels engorged while breastfeeding her??? Do I have to pump my milk out? How do I manage this night time latch-on & pumping schedule successfully???

And since I am want to latch her on directly, how do I ensure that she gets ENOUGH milk & NOT wake up after only an hour??? At the moment, my helper feeds her 110ml & she goes back to sleep quickly because we know that this is the volume she is happy with. She wakes up about 3 hours later crying for another feed.
Well, if I am going to let her latch on directly at night, how do I make sure that she drinks about 110ml???
My baby is a very, very light sleeper. I notice that sometimes she may look satisfied after 20 mins & doze off. But she wakes up soon after only 3 mins! And wants to suck somemore...

This is the headache I am facing. Will experienced mummies please help?
Congrats on the new baby!  When a baby latches on directly, she will actually get more out of your breast than what you pump. You do not have to worry about under feeding here there. I found that my daughter would most of the time stick to the same schedule as when she is bottle fed.  Do you normally use a double pump? If so, you may want to put her on one side for 10 min and then switch her to the other. I am sure all the ladies in here will be able to help. :)
if she is used to only bottle feeding u might struggle to latch her on ure breast but dont give up it can be done u just have to keep trying since they have to work harder on breast than a bottle! but ure right i find it easier to just latch her on during the night n she drains me n falls peacfully asleep.
That's one of the buggers about nursing is that you really don't have a way to tell how much the baby is getting!  One thing I did was nurse the baby on one side, change their diaper (to wake them a little) and then feed the other side. That seemed to work when the baby was very young. Eventually I'd switch to changing the diaper first then feeding.  one side - burp - other side.  My first two I'd have to pull them off b/c they'd be falling asleep, but my third kid I'd she'll pull herself off after just a moment.
I was told by one of the nurses that i should let my baby latch on for at least 15 minutes on one breast because of the high caloric content of hind milk, which takes about 15 minutes to come out. Hind milk is more satisfying for the baby. And when the baby is satisfied, she will be able to sleep longer.

However I dare not burp my baby because

However I dare not burp my baby because I am so afraid that she will wake up. She is such a light sleeper!!! And when she wakes up she will want to suck some more
You were told correct. You want to let her nurse until that breast appears empty so she gets the hind milk, so 15 to 20 for a newborn. Once she gets older she'll be able to empty you out faster. What I would do is nurse one side until empty, burp, and then nurse the other side just to top her off and get her back to sleep. I wouldn't burp after the second side if you think it'll wake her.
My baby is 3 months old and has been a very fast eater from the beginning. I don't think he ever ate for 15 minutes at a time (between both breasts). So, don't be too concerned with the length of time if your baby does not eat that long. I usually change my boy first then feed with one breast, burp and switch to the second breast. I also do not burp after the second breast if he is falling asleep, that way he stays asleep.
What I am afraid of is, what if my baby falls asleep after she has had her fill on only one breast? Should I burp her??? I am so afraid she will wake up n want to suck for comfort when I am so tired. And the whole process repeats itself. ---suck, suck, suck, zzz,zzz,zzz. Should I burp her or not?

In order for her to fall asleep, it takes about half an hour of comfort sucking.

And if she does fall asleep, should I pump my other breast if it feels engorged? Or should I keep the milk inside me till 3 hours later when baby wakes up???

Please advise. thank you so much!
You're just gonna have to see what happens. Try laying her down without burping and see how she sleeps. If she wakes and is uncomfortable next time you burp her and hope she stays asleep or goes back to sleep quickly. As far a pumping if she only nursed one side and you think she's out for a while I would go ahead and pump. It would be a good way to get a stash of milk in the freezer.