A
A
Close
Breastfeeding Community
1.66k Members
659471 tn?1229459690

How to teach my DD take a bottle?

Hello community,

I have to go for a test on march 4, which makes me leaving the house for 4 hours. The problem is my 2(3 month at that time wiil be)month old DD who i'm breasrfeeding and she doesn't take a bottle or pascifier. How can i teach her during these couple of weeks left? I only have my husband who can stay with her and he is not experienced with babies.
2 Responses
231441 tn?1333892766
Guess you need to express breast milk and try giving it to her in a bottle.  Do this when she is hungry so the urge to eat may overcome her reluctance.  Be persistent.

You just put the bottle in her mouth when she opens it to latch on.  For my baby I just put the teat to her mouth and she ends up taking it.

My baby is 2 1/2 weeks.  I am alternating between breast and bottle (with expressed milk) and so far no problems with either so it's just a matter of getting baby used to it.

Best wishes.

287071 tn?1365192513
When you're trying bottles - have your husband offer the bottles.  The baby might recognize the difference with you and be less inclined to accept the difference.  I'd try a few times before you have to be away so the baby will (hopefully) accept the difference and you are able to be away with out worry.  They have bottles that are supposed to be similar to the breast for babies that are nursed.  Check those out - we use Dr. Brown's and our son has always gone back and forth between me and the bottles just fine.  Our guy doesn't take a pacifier - he's always shoving his fingers in his mouth!
Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.