Breastfeeding Community

Milk Storage and Feeding

Would appreciate if you friends can clarify my doubts on Breastmilk storage and feeding.
1)My first question is for how long can I store the breastmilk in the freezer(talking about the normal household fridge-freezer compartment)?
2) second question is how long can I store the breastmilk in the fridge?
3) Once I start feeding my boy how long is breastmilk good for? I know formula should be finished within an hour once the baby starts feeding is it the same with Breastmilk too?

Thanks in advance for all your replies
1- depends on the freezer. if you have a deep freezer, then 6 months to a year. if it's in a freezer on a fridge/freezer combo where you open the door a lot, then less. i think they say 3 months for that.

2- again, it depends. did you put it in the fridge immediately after pumping? i never let it go more than 5 days, but generally tried to use it within 3. if i knew i wasn't going to use it within 3 days, then i just froze it. i think the "rules" state 5-8 days.

3- technically, one hour. i let it go to 1 1/2. when in doubt, give it a sniff. you'll know if it's spoiled.

if you ever have any doubts about any of the above catergories, give the sniff test. if you wanna know what spoiled breast milk smells like, leave a bottle with some left over milk on the counter a few hours (eww- not that i recommend it). also, my lactation consultant told me that a baby would refuse spoiled milk.

also, freshly pumped breast milk is good at room temp for several hours. for me, during the summer, it was good up to 5 hours. in the winter, up to 8 hours during the day. at night during the winter when the room got cool at night, i would pump a bottle before i went to bed and could leave it out and give it to her 10-12 hours later.

here- i found this online, and it seems to match what i was told.
"Freshly expressed milk can be stored at room temperature for up to ten hours.  Colostrum or milk expressed within one week of delivery can be stored for twelve hours at room temperature.  However, whenever possible, milk should be placed in the refrigerator soon after expressing.

Fresh milk can be kept in the refrigerator for up to eight days.  Store it toward the back.  

Fresh milk can be stored in a cooler with icepacks for up to 24 hours.

Fresh milk can be placed in a freezer compartment inside a fridge for up to 2 weeks. (These are usually only found in older type refrigerators).  

Fresh milk can be kept in a self-contained freezer compartment for 3-6 months, depending on how often the door is opened.  Store it toward the back.

Fresh milk can be stored in a separate chest type deep freeze for 6-12 months.  

Milk that has been frozen and thawed can be kept in the fridge for 24 hours. Thawed milk should not be refrozen. "
(http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/collecting_and_storing.shtml

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/14556

you can also check out my journal entry about breast milk handling!
Dito  on  tiredbuthappy...

I did alot of research and yep she has it right..

breastmilk not finished during a feeding can be given for the next feeding only! I do not reheat our though but I will give him that bottle first if it has been a few hours no more! they say longer but I just dont feel right after 3.

I use the lanisoh bags and t hey work the best for me and they have in the package all the info on how long you can store/freeze breast milk..

Hope this helps

K