Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
2020005 tn?1628125976

Nipple shield?

I'm 30 weeks and have all my basic breastfeeding stuff, my pump, nipple cream, pads, storage bottles, and I was thinking about getting a nipple shield in advance just in case I need one, I only used it a couple of times with my son. I looked at 4-5 stores and can't find one ANYWHERE in the stores, so I'm wondering if I should order one online and have it available in case I do need one, then I'll have it handy and not have to wait on an ordered one when she's here. Any suggestions? Did you find the nipple shield useful? Is it something I should get in advance?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Most hospitals will give you one during your stay if you appear to be having trouble. I would call and ask their policy prior to you buying one.
Helpful - 0
2020005 tn?1628125976
My last did, that's the only reason I knew of them! I'll definitely ask my L&D thank you!!
Helpful - 0
231441 tn?1333892766
Many people don't need one. Maybe you can wait and see....
Helpful - 0
2020005 tn?1628125976
Yeah I only needed it a few times with my first, I'd just hate to actually need one with my little girl and not have one available. I'm meeting with my L&D next week so I'm going to ask them, thank you!! :)
Helpful - 0
Personally, I hope I never have to use a nipple shield again. I was a first time mom and was given a nipple shield in the hospital because my baby was having trouble latching on. Little did I know... after that she didn't want to drink from my breast! She would scream if I took the nipple shield away. I guess she just got used to it. It took a lot of patience and practice to get her to drink from my breast again. And what I didn't know, and even her doctor doesn't realize, is that the nipple shield was preventing her from getting as much milk as she could have. The suck is weaker, at least it was for my baby. I know because she was swallowed a lot more often when she finally drank from my breast. I believe that contributed to her weight gain problems. My advice would be to never start it in the first place unless it is absolutely necessary.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.