Nipple shield?

I'm 30 weeks and have all my basic breastfeeding stuff, my pump, nipple cream, pads, storage bottles, and I was thinking about getting a nipple shield in advance just in case I need one, I only used it a couple of times with my son. I looked at 4-5 stores and can't find one ANYWHERE in the stores, so I'm wondering if I should order one online and have it available in case I do need one, then I'll have it handy and not have to wait on an ordered one when she's here. Any suggestions? Did you find the nipple shield useful? Is it something I should get in advance?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Most hospitals will give you one during your stay if you appear to be having trouble. I would call and ask their policy prior to you buying one.
Helpful - 0
My last did, that's the only reason I knew of them! I'll definitely ask my L&D thank you!!
Helpful - 0
Many people don't need one. Maybe you can wait and see....
Helpful - 0
Yeah I only needed it a few times with my first, I'd just hate to actually need one with my little girl and not have one available. I'm meeting with my L&D next week so I'm going to ask them, thank you!! :)
Helpful - 0
Personally, I hope I never have to use a nipple shield again. I was a first time mom and was given a nipple shield in the hospital because my baby was having trouble latching on. Little did I know... after that she didn't want to drink from my breast! She would scream if I took the nipple shield away. I guess she just got used to it. It took a lot of patience and practice to get her to drink from my breast again. And what I didn't know, and even her doctor doesn't realize, is that the nipple shield was preventing her from getting as much milk as she could have. The suck is weaker, at least it was for my baby. I know because she was swallowed a lot more often when she finally drank from my breast. I believe that contributed to her weight gain problems. My advice would be to never start it in the first place unless it is absolutely necessary.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community