Please Help, What kind of cold relief med can I take while Breastfeeding???

I have a really bad cold and I have no idea what to take while I am breastfeeding. My symptoms are: dry cough, sore scratchy throat, stuffy nose, head ache, dizzyness (here and there) and low grade fevers. I am just really nervous about things passing to my Son. Thank You!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i don't think he will get it, i had it for about 6 months before i found out what it was and my son has sickle cell disease and i get worried to cause he slept in the same bed with me, once i got him to the doctor because of his cause they gave him antibiotics to get rid of his cough but it was just a normal mild cold, but for me a few days later i finally got to my doctor and the said i had bronchitus and gave me the proper meds to treat it, but he will be ok just keep ur hands sanitized and treat it like a cold and keep his hands clean, our little men are strong, he will be ok....and good luck!!!!
Helpful - 0
Thanks ladies, you have been a big help, I just found out today though that it's not just a cold, it's Bronchitus :( Will my Son end up getting that from me? I sure don't want him to, this stuff is horrible!!! He has a runny nose and a little cough already!!!
Helpful - 0
Try a neti pot - they're great.  It's a good non-drug way to try and get rid of your cold!
Helpful - 0
Avoid any of the drying medications, my pharmacist allows for Afrin as needed, but generally does not want a nursing mom to take cold pills. Tylenol or Motrin will help with the sore throat, headaches, and fever.

Just keep nursing, that is the baby's best defense.
Helpful - 0
i'm in a rush, so here's a link
http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

try to choose a medication (or more than one individual medication) that specifically targets the symptoms you have. a lot of all-in-one cold meds contain more than you may need. read the labels of the bottles, and compare ingredients to the list. Or, when in doubt, ask the pharmacist. They should be more than happy to help you choose.

feel better!

don't worry about passing it on to your son. he's more likely to not get it, or only get a mild version, since you are breastfeeding.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community