Problems latching

My son will be a month old on the ninth and the only way i've been able to get him to latch on and eat is using a nipple shield. The nurses and drs told me it was fine to keep using the shield to nurse him. Has anyone had experience with using one as well? Did it cause problems with nursing in the long run or did your baby continue to nurse and latch with the shield?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I didn't use the nipple shield but was on the verge due to false latching and hard pulling on the nipple, Lanisoh worked in my case.

My midwife did tell me and I have read as well, that if you use the nipple shield it can take a while before baby can go back to the normal nipple or some babies get used to the nipples shield and don't go back to the real nipple.

Have you tried recently without the nipple shield again? If so, how did it go? Best of luck!
Helpful - 0
I used the nipple shield for a few days. It worked great but i was told don't use it too long because then baby will be used to it and won't nurse without it. If you want to nurse without the shield and it isn't working i would suggest calling a lactation consultant for help they are great and should know what to do.

Good luck
Helpful - 0
Do you have flat nipples or inverted or are you engorged?  All of these things can make it more difficult but there are solutions to each. You could even try pumping for a minute or two to really draw your nipple out to make it easier. Trying to think of anything you could try
Helpful - 0
I've been trying at least once every day when he's not overly hungry to get him to latch without it. He sometimes does but only on my right side. I dont know why but he just wont latch on to the left without the shield. It might be from being engorged but im not sure. And the nurse at the hospital said that i have flat nipples. so i have pumped a little first to draw the nipple out and he's latched that way but he wont stay on and eat for long. i think im just going to call the lactation consultant to see if she'll do a home visit because im getting down about being able to get him to latch without and eat for long enough to get full. thank you ladies!
Helpful - 0
I used a nipple shield with my DD at first and suddenly she just latched without it one day and we've never looked back. The nipple shield is fine to use and some women have to use it exclusively. My nipples are pretty flat and I have large breasts so a lot of the time I have to sort of pinch my nipple and shove it into her mouth. For us, it seemed like once she realized that's where the milk comes from she would suck and suck until she got it and that now draws out my nipple into her mouth.

A lactation consultant showed to a method where I lined her nose up with my nipple and actually allowed it to touch her nose. Then when she opened her mouth I flipped my nipple into her mouth with my thumb so that it touched the roof of her mouth which initiated the sucking reflex. I had to stimulate my nipple and kind of pull it out a little first. Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Most lactation consultants do home visits. Let us know how it goes
Helpful - 0
I use a nipple shield because my little one spent the first week of his life in the NICU and they bottle fed him my milk so they knew exactly how much he was getting.  He got used to the bottle and would not latch to me so the LC offered the nipple shield to help.  He latched right away.  I have used it ever since.  He still wont latch without it.  He get very angry when I try to trick him and take it off after a couple minutes of nursing.  He is a smart one ;) THe LC said it is not a problem so I went and bought about 5 of them so I dont have to spend quality sleep time washing them at night.  I say...whatever works at this point.  He is 5 weeks old and getting what he needs so I am not worried about the shield.  IF that is what he wants that is what he will get.  Good luck to you.  I will say having multiple shields does make it better.  Less time standing at the sink!
Helpful - 0
where did you get extra shields from? i have two one from when he was born and one from when we had an ER visit and i didnt bring mine. but it would be nice to have more so i can spend less time washing them!

I havent yet been able to have someone come to the house, i've had a cold and am just starting to get over pink eye. yuck. it seems like i've had something wrong with me since we came home from the hospital.
Helpful - 0
I got nipple shields at babies r us. They also sell them at target in the baby area with the pump equitment.

Feel better!
Helpful - 0
Thank you!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community