Breastfeeding Community

Producing enough milk?

I'm not sure if I'm producing the amount of milk I'm supposed to, I have an 8 day old and he won't latch, I've tried nipple sheilds and he doesn't take it. So I have to pump and bottle feed him. I'm only getting around 4-5 oz total from both breasts every 3-4 hrs sometimes longer. I have to go back to work next week and its impossible to save any milk bc he drinks it as fast as I can pump it. I put it in the freezer and by the next pump its gone. Any tips or suggestions.
Try pumping more often and after ever feeding of the baby see if that helps .
I would call your local lactation consultant. The hospital you delivered at should have one.  
Thanks. I'll try both!!
Drink lots of extra water!!  A glass per boob!! Every time you nurse or pump.  Even more is better. If your not drinking lots of water like that. You won't produce enough milk. I drank a huge cup.  Like the size of two cups. Almost every time.  Has to be water.  Should help.