Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
736293 tn?1316517842

Sore Nipples

My dd is 8 months old and I have bf since she was born.  The past week or so my nipples are very sore.  It isn't the same kind of pain as when i first started out, but they are very tender.  No scabs or sores.  My dd is currently teething, but she doesn't bite me so i know it isn't that.  Could her latch be changing since she is teething causing my pain.  Anyone else have these issues?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
231441 tn?1333892766
Are they red?

You wouldn't happen to have candida?

Mine are sore all the time, and I'm going on for 12 months bf now!

Helpful - 0
736293 tn?1316517842
They don't look more red than normal...This may sounds silly but how would I know if I have candida?  Wow I can't imagine them being sore all the time.  Even my breast pads rubbing on them is bothering me.
Helpful - 0
231441 tn?1333892766
Hi,

symptoms of candida are:-

- shiny or flaky skin of the nipple/areola
- burning pain of the nipple/areola,
- sore nipples,
- stabbing pain of the breast, and
-nonstabbing pain of the breast

I've had this on and off for 1 1/2 years now.  Started when I had appendicitis while I was pregnant and then amoebiasis and was on lots of antibiotics.  have been treated with antifungals, which helped, but now it's back again.

Hope yours are feeling better by now.

You can google candida and breasts.  Quite a lot of info comes up.
Helpful - 0
218870 tn?1240255655
I dont know if this issue is cleared up or not, but if not, take a look in babys mouth.  Is it white?  My son recently had thrush and when I went to the doc, she asked me if my nipples were more sore than normal...yes they were...way more sore.  she said that had to do with the yeast on them.  about two days after I started treating myself, it went back to normal. they did not look any different at all.  not sure if this is candida or not.
Helpful - 0
231441 tn?1333892766
yes,that is likely from the candida.  there can be no change in appearance. just they'll be really sore.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.