Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Sore nipples

My baby is 2 weeks old now & I have been exclusively breast feeding but my nipples are still so sore & sensitive. I have inverted nipples so im using a nipple gaurd- does this affect anything? When do they stop being so sensitive?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
287071 tn?1365192513
Use some nipple cream/lotion. I have used Lansinoh and it helped a ton.  Also - it sounds odd, but allow your nipples to air out.  I can't put a number on how long it took for my nipples to get used to being tugged on - but it does get better!  I have an inverted nipple and really didn't ever use a nipple shield, just found it awkward to use.
Helpful - 0
I also use a nipple guard, i find my nipples hurt if Im too full...
Helpful - 0
Thanks ladies. I will try the coconut oil. I've been doing everything else - I guess I just have to wait another week for them to build up some toughness.
Helpful - 0
4268628 tn?1375041176
If you don't want to spend so much on lanolin, you can get coconut oil. It's working great and bonus is I can use it for other things...its great on wood too!
Helpful - 0
4484425 tn?1384228334
Usually the nipple guard makes it so they don't get so sore. I don't know if having inverted nipple would add to the sensitivity. For me the soreness went away around 3-4 weeks with all 3 of my babies. Applying lanolin to your nipples helps with some of the soreness. Also you can express some milk, rub it into your nipples and let them air dry.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.